1st Battalion 22nd Infantry


The 22nd Infantry in the Malolos Campaign 1899

Part Two - After Action Reports


Campaign Streamer awarded to the 22nd Infantry Regiment
for its service during the Malolos Campaign




The 22nd Infantry marches into the square at Malolos.
As is frequently seen in color tinted photos of the period,
the artist has incorrectly shown the Soldiers' trousers as being blue.
They were in fact khaki in color.

Photo from:
An Illustrated And Descriptive Art Collection Of America's New Possessions
Chicago, Ill. 1902



Ed., The following are after action reports from various officers of the 22nd Infantry, detailing several battalion
and company operations of the 22nd during the Malolos campaign. They are all taken from the Annual Reports
of the Secretary of War, 1899, published by the United States War Department.


Hdqrs. Twenty-second U. S. Infantry,

Manila, P. L, April 4, 1899. Adjutant-general United States Army,

Washington, D. C. (Through military channels.)

Sir: In compliance with paragraph 1, General Orders, No. 72, Adjutant-General's Office, 1898. and telegram dated Malolos, P. I., April 4, 1899,
from commanding officer Third Brigade, First Division, Eighth Army Corps, I have the honor to submit the following report of operations
of the regiment from March 24,1899, to March 31,1899, inclusive.

Left Manila with regiment at 7.30 a. m., March 24, and marched 7 miles to trenches between La Loraa and Caloocan, relieving Montana Volunteers.
At daylight March 25, regiment advanced over the trenches and engaged with the enemy intrenched in front. Enemy was driven across the Tuliahan River
to strong position in front of Malinta. Camped along river, with considerable firing throughout day and night.

March 26 at 8 a. m. crossed river by ford 1 mile to right of railroad and made turning movement to the left, driving the enemy behind stone wall
and trenches at Malinta. At about 12 pm. advanced and charged enemy's position, who retreated along the railroad.

March 27, 28, 29 and 30 marched along railroad in rear of firing line (MacArthurs division), camping at Meycauayan, Malao, San Marco River,
and point 15 miles from Malolos. March 30 Companies D, E, G, and M, Second Battalion, Captain Lockwood commanding,
was left at San Marco River as guard to entire wagon train.

March 31 posted as support to firing line, advancing toward Malolos under fire for a short time, entering Malolos at noon.

On March 25, Captain Lockwood's battalion, Companies D, E, G, and M, was on the right and he displayed great judgment and energy
in locating the enemy's intrenched position.

On March 26, Captain Ballance's battalion, Companies A, F, K, and I, and Company L, were more especially engaged in the charge
and I especially recommend Capt. John G. Ballance, Twenty-second Infantry, for a brevet for the judgment and gallantry he displayed
in leading his command under a very heavy fire. I especially and personally noticed on this occasion the behavior of First Lieut. Herman Hall,
adjutant Twenty-second Infantry, First Lieut. Albert C. Dalton, commanding Company F, Twenty-second Infantry, and First Lieut. Peter W. Davison,
commanding Company K, Twenty-second Infantry. These three officers remained erect at the firing line when the fire of the enemy was so severe
that it was absolutely necessary to fire from a prone position. They walked along the line, coolly directing the men, and inspiring confidence
in the men by their coolness and most conspicuous bravery. I, therefore, recommend that each of these be brevetted captain for conspicuous bravery
in action. All the other officers, I have no doubt, acted with equal courage, but I mention these by name as they were near me and came under
my personal observation. All the recommendations of battalion and company commanders I heartily concur in, and recommend breveta
and distinctions as recommended by them.

Capt. John S. Kulp, assistant surgeon, U. S. A., and Acting Asst. Surg. I. N. Brewer, U. S. A., were very tireless and courageous in attending
to the wounded under fire, and suitable recognition is recommended for the conspicuous courage and zeal displayed by them.

Attention is invited to inclosure of recommendation in case of Sergt. George C. Charlton, Company B, Twenty-second Infantry.

I desire to report that Gen. H. C. Egbert commanded the regiment from the time it left the barracks on March 24 until the capture of the insurgents'
intrenchments on March 26, when, after most gallantly conducting his regiment to the charge, he fell mortally wounded, just after the capture
of the enemy's position. I then assumed command of the regiment and commanded it during the remainder of the expedition.

Following is a list of killed and wounded:

Wounded March 25, 1899, at Caloocan, P. I.—First Lieut. Harold L. Jackson, Twenty-second Infantry; Privates Edward B. Miller, Company B;
George C. Richards, Company D; Nicholas Gearin, Company D; Fred W. Arnold and William Howard, Company E; William Meyer, Company F;
Bert E. Clough, Company G; Sergt. Albert E. Axt, Company H; Privates Frit Berber, Company H, Spurgeon A. Cain, Company K;
Morton R. Hunsicker, Company L; Edward F. Lammers and Louis Skillman, Company M, and Sergt. Lavergne L. Gregg, Company M,
Twentysecond Infantry.

Killed March 26, 1899, at Malinta, P. I.—Col. Harry C. Egbert, Twenty-Second Infantry; First Sergt. Charles F. Brooke, Company L,
and Private John Miller, Company I, Twenty-second Infantry.

Wounded March 26, 1899, at Malinta, P. I.—Privates William E. Geyer and Hurry Scanlan, Company A; First Beret. Patrick J. Byrne, Company B,
and Ole Waloe, Company F; Artificer John A. Hogeboom, Company I, and \\illiam Dunlap, Company L, "Twenty-second Infantry.


Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

L. O. Parker, Major Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding.



1st Battalion 22nd Infantry Officers Headquarters at Malolos
The bearded officer in the center foreground, in profile, may very well be
Captain John G. Ballance, commander of First Battalion.

from an Underwood & Underwood stereoview dated 1899


Manila, P. I., April 4, 1899. Adjutant Twenty-second Infantry,

Manila, P. 1.

Sir: Pursuant to verbal instructions of the regimental commander, I have the honor to make the following report of the operations
of the First Battalion, Twentysecond Infantry, from March 24 to March 31, 1899:

The battalion was composed of four companies, Twenty-second Infantry, as follows: Company I, Lieut. W. A. Campbell commanding;
Company F, Lieut. A. C. Dalton commanding; Company A, Lieut. W. H. Wassell commanding; Company K, Lieut. P. W. Davison commanding;
Lieut. I. W. Leonard, adjutant.

The battalion, as part of the regiment, left Nipa Barracks, Manila, at 7.15 a. m. March 24, marched to a point between La Loma church and Caloocan,
where it went into camp until dark. It then marched to the trenches in front and to the right of the railroad buildings of Caloocan,
as indicated by the brigade commander during the day, relieving the First Montana Volunteer Infantry.

The Third Battalion, Twenty-second Infantry, was on my left and the Second Battalion, under Captain Lockwood, on my right,
the regimental line occupying the line of trenches from the railroad buildings to the left of the Third Artillery.

The action commenced at daylight the following morning about 2 miles to our right, and proceeded from right to left
until the whole opposing line was firing at our lines.

My original orders required me to make a gradual turning movement to the left, conforming to the movements of the Second Battalion, on my right.
The latter was directed to cover the left flank of the Third Artillery. The Third Artillery, after advancing, made a complete change to the left,
necessitating a similar movement of the battalion on my right, both of which passed across my front and passed beyond it to the left,
completely masking my fire. I was directed by General Egbert to remain in the line during the preceding movement. Later I was directed
to make a partial change of direction to the left, form line of skirmishers, and proceed northwest. Line was formed and proceeded unwaveringly
toward the line of intrenchments of the enemy, who hastily abandoned them and retreated toward the line of the railroad.

The battalion proceeded in line of skirmishers with half-distance intervals, three companies being in the firing line and Company I being in reserve.

The battalion proceeded in this order until it reached the railroad near where it crosses the Tulianan River, driving the insurgents before it.
At this point the insurgents were discovered in force behind intrenchments across the river, which was not passable at this point on account of its depth,
muddy bottom, and the well-defended intrenchments. Large numbers of insurgents, bearing the dead and wounded, were seen retreating toward Malinta.

The battalion engaged the insurgents all afternoon in a hot fire, but owing to the impassability of the river could not drive them out.
During the afternoon the two other battalions of the regiment came up, and also two pieces of artillery.

The following morning the regiment proceeded about a mile and a quarter up the river, where the men crossed, the water being breast high.

After all had crossed the river a skirmish line was formed at right angles to the river, the left resting on the river, the Second and First battalions
in the firing line and the Third in reserve. The Second Battalion was on the left.

Capt. T. W. Moore, Twenty-second Infantry, reported to me with two companies, with orders to protect my right flank.
We were ordered to proceed in that order to the railroad and to take the line of intrenchments in reverse.

The movement was most beautifully executed by my battalion. The company commanders kept the men under perfect control
and as well dressed and with as uniform intervals as was possible.

Owing to the almost impenetrable thickets at some parts of the line the movement was slowly executed.

After proceeding about a mile in this order the strong intrenchments which had enabled the insurgents to hold in check our forces the previous day
were taken in reverse, and the battalion proceeded to the railroad. Lieutenant Murphy, commanding Company C, was on the left of my battalion
and in touch with it, and was with it when the trenches were taken in reverse and the march made to the railroad.
Two insurgents were killed by the fire of this company.

A few insurgents were seen retreating in the bushes beyond the railroads and a small white flag was seen displayed about three-quarters of a mile
beyond the track, but as I had been ordered not to go beyond the railroad track I halted the battalion at the track.

There was with me at this time the four companies of my battalion and Company C. The remainder of the regiment was back of the line and out of sight.

I went to the right of the line for the purpose of making observations, being preceded by four scouts from Lieutenant Dalton's company.

At a cut through which the railroad passed an advanced post of eight insurgents was encountered, which opened fire on us.
I formed line across the railroad track and reconnoitered the enemy's position.

He was found strongly intrenched about 300 yards beyond the railroad cut.

I directed Lieutenant Dalton to form his company in line of skirmishers with diminished interval, his left resting on the railroad.
Lieutenants Davison and Wassell were formed on his right and directed to push through the underbrush and attack the intrenchments
on the enemy's left flank.

Lieutenant Campbell's company was formed in line of skirmishers on the left of the track and at right angles to it.

Word was sent to Lieutenant Murphy to form his company to the left of Lieutenant Campbell and attack the enemy s right flank.
The messenger returned, stating that Lieutenant Murphy had gone back to join his battalion, which left me with
the four companies of my battalion only.

I then had Lieutenant Campbell extend his line to the left by taking full interval

Word was sent back to General Egbert by my adjutant, Lieutenant Leonard, what I had discovered in my front and the dispositions I had made.
I recommended that one company be sent to extend my flank farther to the left, and started a movement slowly forward,
directing Lieutenants Campbell and Dalton to attack in front.

Just as the battalion reached the rise of ground through which the railroad cut was made I received orders from General Egbert,
communicated through one officer and two orderlies, to halt, which was done.

Later General Wheaton sent an aid-de-camp to ascertain what I had developed in my front. I reported and also expressed full confidence
of my ability to take the intrenchments with my battalion and requested permission to do so.
Very soon thereafter General Wheaton gave me the desired permission.

The battalion proceeded up the rise of the ground to the crest, where it was met by a galling fire from the intrenchments.
The men lay down and returned the fire.

Not having sufficient cover on the crest, it was thought best to charge the intrenchments, and the troops were moved forward.

This necessitated a forward movement of over 200 yards down the slope of the hill into a small valley, then up the hill where the intrenchments were.

After passing into the valley I had Musician Kaercher sound the charge, which the men obeyed with the greatest alacrity,
and with cheers charged up the hill and took the intrenchments.

On arriving at the intrenchments they were met by a well-directed and hot fire from the wall around Malinta church and some intrenchments,
and a raised road leading to a bridge from 600 to 800 yards distant.

The fire was so accurately delivered that my men were compelled to lie very close to the ground on the reverse side of the intrenchments
and deliver their return fire from there.

It was during this fire that I was informed that General Egbert was killed.

At first some of the firing of our troops was at will, but later I directed company commanders to fire volleys only.

After about half an hour's continuous firing we succeeded in silencing the enemy's fire and, causing them to retreat from their defenses,
permitted the head of General MacArthur's column, which was marching along the road coming from the right,
to take their transportation over the bridge into the town.

Part of the defenses of the enemy consisted of a solid stone wall 2 feet thick around a churchyard, which could have been held
by a comparatively small number of men against five times their number of infantry.

A large number of Mauser and some Remington shells were found behind this wall, showing where much of their fire came from.

The fire on our troops in this advance was very much better directed than any before or since, and is accounted for by the fact
that the enemy had measured the ground along a straight line from the railroad bridge to Malinta church, which was the direct line of our advance,
and had erected along it poles about 50 feet high and about 75 meters apart, and nailed to every alternate one a nipa flag. By means of these poles
the enemy were enabled to tell within a few feet the exact distance we were from them, and regulate their sight accordingly.

Their intrenchments were fortunately faultily constructed, being on the crest of a high rise of ground, with a parapet about 5 feet thick and horizontal on top.

When our troops moved forward from the crest of their first position down the slope, the enemy in the intrenchments were unable
to depress their pieces sufficiently, and all shots passed over our heads in this forward movement and charge.

I think all our casualties happened after we had taken the first line of works. The men were then protected by the earthwork.

For these two reasons our loss was comparatively small, although the enemy's fire was very hot
and delivered with an absolutely accurate knowledge of the distance.

Having driven the enemy out of their defenses around Malinta, the battalion was directed to camp there for the night.

Lieutenant Wolfe, commanding Company L, brought his company up and took part in the charge of my battalion,
and after the intrenchments were taken, formed on the left and did effective firing.

I wish to especially mention Lieut. W. A. Campbell, Lieut. A. C. Dalton, Lieut. W. H. Wassell, and Lieut P. W. Davison, in command,
respectively, of Companies H, F, A, and K, Twenty-second Infantry, for the skillful and effective way in which they handled their companies
from the time they forded the river until the capture of Malinta church, and for the cheerfulness and accuracy with which they carried out every detail
of the orders I gave them. The troops composing these companies were most all recruits, and their effective action is due in a very large measure
to the strong personality of these officers, and to their hard work and determined efforts to make an effective force out of them
during the short time they have been in the service. For the above reasons, and for their gallantry and bravery in the capture of Malinta church,
I recommend that each of these officers be given the brevet of captain in the Regular Army.

I deem it proper to mention the conspicuous bravery of Lieut. Herman Hall, adjutant Twenty-second Infantry. He came up on the firing line,
took command of detachments of some companies that were near him, placed them on the firing line behind the parapet,
and had them deliver well-regulated and effective volleys at the enemy, walking up and down the firing line in full view of the enemy
and exposed to a heavy fire. For conspicuous bravery on this occasion I respectfully recommend that Lieut. Herman Hall
be given the brevet of captain in the Regular Army.

I desire to commend Lieut. I. W. Leonard, the battalion adjutant, for his efficiency in the performance of his duties, cheerfully going on foot
from one end of the line to the other to convey orders to different parts of the line, moving freely where the firing was heaviest,
without the slightest thought for his personal safety. I recommend that Lieutenant Leonard be appointed a first lieutenant by brevet in the Regular Army.

Musician William Kearcher, Company I, Twenty-second Infantry, is deserving of special commendation for the faithful and efficient performance
of his duties as orderly and trumpeter, as cheerfully carrying messages where bullets were flying thick as when at a post,
and I recommend that he be given a certificate of merit.

The battalion left Malinta church at 7 a. m., March 27, and marched past Polo to the railroad station at Meycauayan, where it camped.

March 28.—Marched to Marilao and camped.

March 29. —Broke camp at 6.30 a. m., marched along the railroad to San Marco River, which we crossed, and camped,
leaving the wagon train in charge of the Second Battalion.

March 30.—Marched along the railroad 2 miles, and camped with the Third Infantry.

March 31.—Marched by battalion, in two lines, as support for the Third Artillery and First Montana, and moved to the attack
and capture of Malolos, into which we marched about 11 a. m. Marched through the city and camped near the railroad station.

The following is the list of killed and wounded: Company I—Artificer John A. Hogeboom, wounded slightly along the back;
Private John Miller, killed, March 26. Company F—Private William Meyer, wounded severely in the head, March 25; First Sergt. Ole Waloe,
wounded in left arm. Company A—Private William Guyer, wounded in left forearm; Private Harry J. ScanIon, "wounded in the chest, March 26.
Company K—Private Cain, wounded in right great toe.

I inclose herewith the reports of the company commanders and adjutant, called for by verbal instructions of the regimental commander.
I invite attention to their recommendations of enlisted men deserving of special mention and hope their recommendations may be given full effect.

I can from personal knowledge indorse the commendation of Musician Kaercher by the commanding officer of Company I, and that of the battalion adjutant.

I wish here to mention particularly my great satisfaction at the conduct of officers, noncommissioned officers,
and privates of the battalion during all the time the battalion has been in the Philippines.

The zeal of all to follow out my minutest instructions is exceedingly gratifying, and this with the fearlessness shown by them under fire
(the great majority of whom had never before heard a hostile bullet) shows them to be of material which will become nearly invincible after more experience.

I doubt if any battalion that had been organized so short a time as this were ever more zealous than this one in carrying out the orders of its commander.
Very respectfully,

John Greene Ballance, Captain, Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding First Battalion


John Greene Ballance, who wrote the above report,
as commander of the 1st Battalion 22nd Infantry.
Seen here in his later years, Ballance served with the
22nd Infantry from 1875 until 1903. He was retired
from the Army as a Lieutenant Colonel of the 29th Infantry
in 1904 and died in 1910. During his career Ballance
also held the Brevet rank of Brigadier General of Volunteers.

Photo from :
The Military Record of John Greene Ballance (1910)
Published by The Society Sons Of The Revolution In The State Of California
April 19, 1910





Nipa Barracks, Manila, Luzon Island, April 4, 1899. Maj. John Green Ballance,

Twenty-second U. S. Infantry.

Sir: I have the honor to report that my company I, Twenty-second Infantry marched from this place to Caloocan, Luzon Island,
on March 24, and took position during the evening in the trenches about a half a mile east of the stone church, relieving a company
of the First Montana Volunteers. About 7 a. m. on the morning of the 25th of March the company was moved out about 100 yards
in front of the trenches, supporting a portion of Major Lockwood's battalion, but it was soon recalled, and about 8 a. m. Company I
was placed in support of the battalion during the general advance toward the Tuliahan River. The company remained in support of the battalion
all day, receiving a dropping fire for a considerable portion of the time, but there were no casualties.

On the morning of the 26th the company moved with the other companies of the battalion about three quarters of a mile to the east,
forded the Tuliahan River, and was deployed on the left of the battalion with instructions to keep in touch with the right of the company
of Major Kell's battalion, which was on the left. About 10.15 a. m. an advance was made down the river toward the railroad,
which was reached without resistance about 11 a. m. Shortly after reaching the railroad it was discovered that the enemy was intrenched
on the left side of the railroad between us and the town of Malinta, and Company I was thrown across the railroad, the battalion turning to the right
and advancing toward the intrenchments. When within about 800 yards of the enemy the company was halted by your command
and scouts were sent forward to a small knoll about 300 yards to the front. They reported that several of the enemy were sitting
on their intrenchments about 500 yards in advance, but that some appeared to be moving to the right. After waiting for some minutes
for orders to advance, fire was opened upon us by the enemy and I suddenly heard the charge being sounded and saw a company
about 200 yards in my rear advancing in double time. I immediately ordered the company forward in double time
and on reaching the crest of the knoll in front began firing at the enemy, who were behind intrenchments about 500 yards in front.
After firing five or six rounds the signal to cease firing was given and the order to charge repeated. Bv this time Company L had intermixed
with Company I and the whole line advanced, the enemy leaving the intrenchments and taking up a position behind a stone wall
inclosing an old church, and behind some rice mounds on the right of the railroad. Upon reaching the enemy's intrenchments
the company halted with the others and after a few individual shots began firing volleys at the stone wall and rice bank about 500 yards distant.

During the firing Artificer John A. Hogeboom was wounded and Private John Miller killed. The enemy's fire was soon silenced,
and the line advanced toward the church of Malinta, near which the regiment bivouacked for the night. The number of shots fired
averaged 35 rounds per man. So far as I could see, the only man deserving particular mention is Musician Kaercher. From this time
to the surrender of Malolos, on March 31, the company was not actively engaged with the enemy, its duties being those of a support.

Very respectfully, W. A. Campbell,

First Lieutenant, Twenty-second Infantry.



The railroad depot at Malolos, after occupation by American troops. The original caption reads:
"The proclamation of General Luna is posted upon the wall near the door.
The officers are Generals Otis, McArthur and Hale. Photograph was taken within half hour following evacuation of insurgents."

Photo from:
A Wonderful Reproduction of LIVING SCENES In Natural Color Photos of America's New Posssessions.
F. Tennyson Neely. New York, Chicago, London: 1899



NiPA Barracks, Malate, April 5, 1899. Capt. J. G. Ballance,

Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding First Battalion. Sir: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken
by Company F, Twentv-second Infantry, in the operations against the enemy from March 24 to 31, 1899, inclusive: March 34.—
The company, as part of First Battalion, left Nipa Barracks, Malate, about 7.30 a. m., marched to Caloocan,
and occupied during the night an advanced position in the trenches east of Caloocan.

March 25.—The company moved forward about 6 a. m., taking part in the general advance to within 10 miles of Malinta Church.
Engaged the enemy about noon along railroad near railway bridge over Tuliahan River until about 3 o'clock p. m.;
Private William Meyer seriously wounded in head. Bivouacked during the night about one-half mile
from railway bridge over Tuliahan River, on line of railway.

March 26.—Left camp about 8.30 a. m., marched east three-fourths of a mile and forded the Tuliahan River.
Advanced as part of firing line to railway about 600 yards north of bridge. Engaged the enemy about 12.30 p. m.,
and after a sharp engagement drove him from his intrenchments. Bivouacked near the village of Malinta during the night.
First Sergt. Ole Waloe wounded in left arm.

March 27.—Broke camp about 7.30 a. m., crossed the river and bivouacked during the night at Meycauayan Station, on west side of railway.

March 28.—Remained in camp at Meycauayan during the day. Left Meycauayan about 3.30 p. m., marched along railway
to within 2 miles of Bocaue. Bivouacked for the night west of railway.

March 29.—Broke camp at 6.30 a. m. and marched along railway, passing Bocaue about noon. Bivouacked for the night 1 mile south ol Bocaue.

March 3O.—Broke camp at 7 a. m. and marched south along railway to Bigaa Station.
Left Bigaa about 10 a. m. Bivouacked about one-half mile south of Guiguinto.

March 3I.—Broke camp about 6 a. m., in support of right wing of firing line of regiment. Advance continued until within one-half mile
of Malolos, which was entered about noon. Bivouacked on line of railway near Malolos during the night.

I have the honor to invite the attention of the battalion commander to the meritorious services of Private Charles H. Bishop,
Company F, Twenty-second Infantry, who behaved with great coolness and gallantry at the engagement near Malinta Church,
he being the first enlisted man to reach the enemy's trenches when the charge was made upon the works.
His services during the recent maneuvers on the Pasig River were particularly meritorious, having volunteered
on several occasions to perform most hazardous duties.

Very respectfully, A. C. Dalton,

First Lieutenant, Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding Company F.



Malate, V. I., April H, 1809. Adjutant First Battalion, Twenty-second Infantry.

Malate, P. I.

Sir: In compliance with orders, I have the honor to make the following report of the operations of Company A, Twenty-second Infantry,
from March 24 to March 31, 1899:

March 24.—The company (1 officer and 76 enlisted men) in battalion, Capt. J. G. Ballance, Twenty-second Infantry, commanding First Battalion,
left, barracks at Malate at 7.30 a. m., marched to Caloocan, relieved a company of the First Montana, and bivouacked in the trenches east of Caloocan.

March 25.—Moved north at 6 a. m. to within 10 miles south of Malinta, encountering an occasional weak fire from the insurgents.
At about noon the company was put in position near the railroad, slightly in rear of our firing lines.

March 26.—Moved at 8.30 a. m., forded the Tuliahan River, and took part in the flank movement on the trenches engaged on the previous day.
The movement was made without opposition, the trenches having been abandoned during the night. Reaching the railroad
some scattering shots were received from the direction of Malinta. With Company K, Twenty-second Infantry, on its left
the company moved toward Malinta to reconnoiter. Advancing one-half mile a considerable force of intrenched insurgents was encountered.
Sharp firing was opened on both sides and when reenforced by the remainder of the First Battalion the work's were charged and carried.
Firing was then directed toward the enemy in Malinta, and in a short time the enemy's fire was silenced. During this engagement
the company lost 2 men, both wounded. The company bivouacked at Malinta.

March 27.—Moved at 7 a. m., marched northwest, and bivouacked on the railroad at Meycauayan.

March 28.—Moved at 3.30 p. m., marched to within 2 miles of Bocauo, and bivouacked along the railroad.

March 29.—Moved at 6.30 a. m., marched along the line of the railroad, passed Bocaue at noon, and bivouacked 1 mile south of Bigaa.

March 30.—Moved at 7 a. m., marched west along the railroad, reached Bigaa at 8 a. m., left Bigaa 10 a. m.,
bivouacked about one-half mile trom Guiguinto, the company being on outpost during the night.

March 31.—Moved at 6 a. m. The company was the left of the supporting line in the attack on Malolos,
lay under a sharp fire for about five minutes when near the city, and entered Malolos at noon.

Bivouacked in Malolos near the railroad.

Very respectfully, William H. Wassell,

First Lieutenant, Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding Company A.



Company K, Twenty-second Infantry,

Ermita Barracks, Manila, P. I., April 5, 1899. Capt. John Green Ballance,

Twenty-second U. S. Infantry, Major, U. S. V.,

Commanding First Battalion Twenty-second Infantry.

Sir: Company K, Twenty-second Infantry, left Ermita Barracks about 7 a. on March 24, toward Caloocan, halting about 10 miles
in rear of trenches surrounding that place. At dusk Company K was moved to line of trenches and relieved a company
of the First Montana Volunteers. The next morning, March 25, it took part in the general advance and proceeded in line of skirmishers
toward Malinta, halting on the bluffs south of the railroad crossing Tulihan River. This point was reached about noon
and the company lay behind the firing line undercover during the afternoon, its own front being occupied by other troops of the regiment.
The company bivouacked in rear of the hill for the night, and the next morning, March 26, moved up the river about 1 mile, forded the river,
and took part in the flanking movement on the insurgent trenches on the right bank of the river. The company advanced in line of skirmishers
until the railroad bank was reached and was there formed under cover.

Scouts sent to right along track drew some fire from hills in that direction. Companies A and K of the First Battalion
were sent to reconnoiter the position. A line of trenches was discovered and its fire from them was returned by the two companies
sent to reconnoiter, and as soon as the remainder of the battalion came up the position was charged and carried.
Our fire was then directed on the town, into which we soon advanced and camped for the night.

During the advance of March 25 Private Cain, who was detached from the company and was on duty with the pioneer corps,
was wounded in right big toe.

March 27 left camp about 7.30 a. m. and proceeded to Meycauayan, arriving there about noon. No skirmishing.
Marched along road all the way. Bivouacked at Meycauayan that night and left camp about 1.30 p. m.

March 28 proceeded along railroad to the north about 2 miles and bivouacked for the night at Marilao.

March 29 Company K left camp about 7 a. m. and marched about 6 miles and went into camp near Bulacan.

March 30 broke camp about 7 a. m. and proceeded up the track and went into camp near Guiguinto about 4.30 p. m.
During this advance Company K was detached and acted as escort for the Hotchkiss rapid-fire gun, which was sent with the regiment.
Shortly after arriving at camp the battalion was formed into line of battle to the left and skirmished through the woods about 1 mile
after forces of insurgents reported to be collected there. None were found and troops were marched back to original camp
and bivouacked along railroad track for the night.

At 7 a. m., March 31 Company K took part in the advance on Malolos. The company, acting with the battalion,
was formed as a support to First Montana Volunteers and Third U. S. Artillery, and supported them on the advance into the city,
which was entered about 12 pm. The company was under straggling fire of retreating insurgents during the approach to the city,
but no fire was returned by Company K, on account of the troops to our front, which we were supporting. Company K went into camp
on outskirts of Malolos along railroad track and there remained till April 2, about 4 p. m., when, in accordance with orders,
it proceeded to Ermita Barracks at Manila by rail, arriving there about 9 p. m.

In connection with this report I feel it my duty to mention First Sergt. George Scott and Sergt. Richard Maney, who,
though suffering from Cuban fever, went through the entire campaign doing their duty creditably and faithfully and only leaving their posts
when ordered by the surgeon to temporarily remain in the hospital when the attacks of fever were especially bad.
Corporals Brown and Gentil also did valuable service and greatly assisted the company commander in handling the men of the company,
both on the firing line and in camp. Full credit should be given them for their eagerness to faithfully perform duties which were assigned to them.

Very respectfully,

P. W. Davison, First Lieutenant, Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding Company K.



Malolos Cathedral, also known as the Basilica Minore dela Nuestra Seņora de Inmaculada Concepcion
or Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception, was used by Aguinaldo as the Presidential Palace
and seat of power of the First Philippine Republic, from 10 September 1898 to 29 March 1899.
Aguinaldo's soldiers had left delayed-fused explosives which detonated and set the building on fire.

Photo from:
An Illustrated And Descriptive Art Collection Of America's New Possessions
Chicago, Ill. 1902



Nipa Barracks, Manila, P. I., April 5, 1899. Capt. J. G. Ballance,

Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding First Battalion.

Sir: In compliance with your order I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by the First Battalion
in the operations against the enemy from March 24 to March 27, 1899, inclusive:

March 24-—The battalion, with the rest of the regiment, left the barracks and marched to a point about three-quarters of a mile south of Caloocan
and on the east side of the railroad through that place, arriving there at about 10.30 o'clock a. m. and bivouacking for dinner and supper.
At dusk the battalion broke camp and with the regiment proceeded to the intrenchments east of Caloocan,
and as center battalion relieved part of the First Montana Volunteer Infantry.

March 25.—The battalion breakfasted before daylight and at 7.40 a. m. moved out of the trenches, forming a line of squads
at right angles to the line of intrenchments and advanced upon the insurgent intrenchments directly north, crossing first a level rice field
to a bamboo hedge or thicket about 400 yards distant, passing through the thicket, and then traversing a second open field about 200 yards wide
to a second bamboo wood, behind which the insurgent intrenchments were located. The battalion during this movement passed through a fire
from the enemy to the left, directed probably at the Oregon Volunteer Infantry on that flank, which was considerably advanced beyond our regiment,
the bullets coming over their heads and those of Captain Kell's battalion of our regiment. One private of Company F was fatally wounded by this fire.
The battalion received no fire from the trenches in front, and found them deserted.

The advance was continued through the woods beyond the insurgent trenches, with a slight change of direction to the left,
until the left of the battalion reached the railroad about 700 yards from where it crosses the Tuliahan River. Here the battalion moved
by the left flank until Company F was on the west side of the railway, with K and A upon the east side and I upon the west side in rear of Company F,
in support, these having been the relative positions of the several companies of the battalion when it left the intrenchments.
The battalion here exchanged a few volleys with the enemy until about noon, after which it rested in the woods on the right and behind the rice dikes
on the left of the railroad until night. At dark the companies on the east of the track were moved to the west side and there bivouacked for the night.
While there one private of Company K was wounded by a stray shot. During the afternoon I was sent by General Egbert to Caloocan for rations
and returned with the train on which they came.

March 26.—The battalion breakfasted just before daybreak and about 6 o'clock I was again sent back to Caloocan for headquarters' baggage,
and on my return, being told that the road west of the railway would carry me practically to where the battalion had bivouacked the night before,
I went that way, but found myself, after a mile and a half's travel, at Tmajeros. I accordingly sent the cart with the baggage back,
with instructions to the driver to seek a road to where the battalion lay, and myself crossed the fields to where I had left it.
Upon arriving there I learned that the regiment had moved a mile and a half east to a ford over the Tuliahan River, and was expected to cross there
and then move west toward the railroad in order to flank the insurgents, who the day before had been firing upon us from intrenchments
near the railroad and north of the stream. But while this was being explained to me Company I of this battalion came into sight
on the other side of the river, and I accordingly proceeded down the railroad and joined the battalion as it reached the track.

I found the railroad ties and the rails at the bridge taken up, as was also the case for about 300 yards bevond, and at this distance from the bridge
the earth had been piled up into a sort of barricade about 8 feet high and 10 feet thick. Near the river's edge on the north side and east of the raiload,
and at right angles thereto, the insurgents had constructed an elaborate bombproof trench to accommodate about 50 men.
Open trenches were also constructed on the west side of the track, facing south. About 200 or 300 yards north of the river,
on the west side of the railway, the insurgents had also built a small but very strong earthwork facing south and west, apparently intended
to accommodate artillery. Beyond this 200 or 300 yards was a slight knoll, and about 400 yards still farther north on a much higher hill,
a massive stone church or monastery, surrounded on the west, south, and east by a stone wall about 1 foot thick and originally 6 feet high,
but now broken down to about 4 feet. On the west side of the railway the ground was clear between the river and church for almost 600
or 800 yards, beyond which it was wooded, the woods bending in toward the church at the north. A highway passed east and west
on the north side of the church and by a viaduct crossed the railway, which passed through a deep cut at that point.
On the east side of the railway the ground was cleared a distance of about 400 yards, at which distance it began to rise in continuation
of the slight knoll or ridge first mentioned above, and was from there on to opposite the church more or less wooded. All the cleared ground
on both sides of the railway was cut into rectangles and triangles by low dikes used for rice cultivation, but now sodded over.

When I reached the battalion Mr. W. A. Campbell was reporting that his scouts had discovered a small redoubt occupied by insurgents
just beyond the brow of the small knoll on the west side of the railway. Upon your order the battalion was at once deployed, facing north,
with the left extending to the western extremity of the knoll in question, and the right into the woods east of the track.
You then directed me to report to General Egbert that you had extended the right as far as you cared to and that you desired the reinforcement
of one additional company on the left, as you were about to charge and desired to envelop the redoubt on the knoll,
so as to capture the insurgents inside of it. General Egbert ordered that the movement should not be made but that the battalion should halt.
During all this time some fire was received from the insurgents, especially along the railroad, but no execution was done by it.
In the course of about half an hour Brigadier-General Wheaton arrived and soon thereafter directed General Egbert to dispose the regiment
for attack and then charge the redoubt on the knoll. At about 12.30 o'clock, Company L having been placed to the left of the First Battalion,
a charge was ordered and the battalion thus reinforced, passed at a run to the redoubt at the left of the railway and to a corresponding position
in the woods on the right of the track. But the insurgents had in the meantime abandoned the redoubt, crossed over into the woods
east of the railroad and made their way to the church. However, a large body of the enemy, occupying the church and surrounding stone wall
and a trench behind the road leading to the viaduct, maintained an intense fire during the time the charge was being made
and for about fifteen minutes after the battalion reached the redoubt. No one was injured, however, until after the troops laid down
behind the slight embankment in front of the redoubt, but during the next few minutes the following casualties occurred on our side:
General Egbert, killed; First Sergt. Charles F. Brooke, Company L, killed; First Sergt. Ole Waloe, Company F, wounded in left shoulder;
First Sergt. Patrick J. Byrne, Company B, wounded in leg below knee; Private John Miller, Company I, killed;
Artificer John Hogeboom, Company I, wounded in back; Private Harry J. Scanlan. Company A, wounded across back;
Private William E. Geyer, Company A, wounded in right forearm.

Immediately upon lying down at the conclusion of the charge the companies of the battalion commenced to fire volleys at the church,
wall, and road, in and behind which the enemy were posted and in about fifteen or twenty minutes their fire was silenced.
After resting a few minutes, the battalion with the balance of the regiment, advanced to the church and Malinta village near it,
and bivouacked for the night. Headquarters' baggage not yet having arrived, you sent me back to Caloocan for it,
and I brought it up that night by way of Tinajeros.

March 27 camp was broken at daylignt and at 7 o'clock a. m. the battalion as support of the regiment moved to the north.
At Polo I was, by order of the commanding officer, transmitted by yourself, transferred to Captain Lockwood's battalion
and placed in command of Company M, relieving Captain Krepps, who had been taken ill.

I have the honor to invite your attention to the exceptionally brave and meritorious conduct of Musician Kaercher, of Company I,
during the engagement at Malinta, who when not engaged with other duties, assisted the hurt, regardless of danger to himself,
and during the hottest fire calmly walked up and down the line reporting to his comrades the effect of their volleys and encouraging them by his example.

Very respectfully submitted.

Ivebs W. Leonard, /Second Lieutenant, Twenty-second Infantry, and Adjutant First Battalion.



Manila, P. I., April 5, 1899. Regimental Adjutant Twenty-second Infantry,

Nipa Barracks, Manila, P. I.

Sir: Pursuant to instructions received this day, I have the honor to submit the following report of movements, battles, and engagements
participated in by the Second Battalion of Twenty-second Infantry during the period from March 24 to March 31, 1899.

Left barracks at Manila March 24 at 7 a. m. and marched to Caloocan, where the battalion relieved the Montana Volunteers in the trenches.

At 6 o'clock a. m. of the 25th the battalion was deployed to protect the left flank of the Third Artillery, while the same was making wheel to the left.
I advanced my command to within 300 yards of the enemy's works under a severe fire, losing several men. I was ordered to halt my battalion
as soon as the Third Artillery had gained the woods in my front. About 8 o'clock a. m. I received orders to advance and protect left flank
of Third Artillery. After advancing for a mile and a half I received orders to close in on right of my regiment. In making this movement
I discovered the enemy to be strongly intrenched behind the Tausa River. After gaining my new position I became hotly engaged with the enemy,
which was kept up until dusk. My battalion laid in line of battle all night. I received orders in the morning to pull my command out
and join rest of the regiment to move by the right flank to cross the river and take the enemy in flank, which movement was beautifully executed,
driving the enemy to its works in rear. Here the regiment changed direction to the right under a heavy fire, when we received orders
to charge the enemy's works which the regiment did in fine style. Our gallant colonel fell in this charge, at the head of his regiment.
I was ordered to move my battalion to the left and joined the Second Oregon Volunteers. After advancing for over a mile
I was ordered to join the rest of my regiment, where we went into camp.

We broke camp on the morning of the 27th, following as reserve to General MacArthur's division. My battalion participated in all the movements
of the Third Brigade, First Division, up to the fall of Malolos.

I would most respectfully call the attention of the regimental commander to the conspicuous gallantry of the following officers: Capts. J. F. Kreps
and T. W. Moore; First Lieut. Isaac Newell; Second Lieuts. H. R. Campbell and R. B. Parrott. All of of these officers were in the front
leading their men. I would also call your attention to the personal reports of company commanders hereto attached.

Very respectfully, B. C. Lockwood,

Captain, Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding Battalion.



Manila, P. I., April, 1899. Adjutant Second Battalion, Twenty-second Infantry,

Manila, P. I.

Sir : In compliance with verbal instructions of the battalion commander, I have the honor to make the following report
of the operations of Company M, Twentysecond Infantry from March 24 to March 26, 1899, inclusive.

The company as part of regiment left its barracks, Manila, P. I., at about 7 a. m. and proceeded to the vicinity of Caloocan,
where after dusk it was placed in trenches before occupied by the Montana regiment (volunteers), on the left of the Third Regiment Regular Artillery.

March 25, at about 6 a. m., the company moved forward as the right of a line of skirmishers to protect the left flank of the Third Artillery.
It executed a change of direction to the left, and within half an hour was under fire of Filipino trenches, from 800 to 1000 yards distance.
Under orders of the brigade commander, the advance was stopped between 300 and 500 yards from Filipino works.
The battalion was soon after assembled and moved down to the railroad, Company M being placed along the east of the railroad facing east,
with its left about 400 yards from the bridge over Tuliahan or Tausa River, its rear protected by railroad bank. It remained there until dusk
under the fire from the enemy's works north of the river, aiding in keeping down the fire therefrom. Before daybreak next morning,
March 26, the company, which had been withdrawn from its position the evening before, returned to its place along the railroad,
which it held until about 7 a. m., when it was withdrawn and formed part of the battalion which advanced up the river to a ford,
where the whole command crossed.

The company was one of the reserve companies in rear of the regimental line, which position it held, being under quite heavy fire,
while the firing line rushed and took the enemy's position in front of Malinta. After this the company was moved to the left,
forming part of the main line, but was not under fire. It returned and bivouacked at Malinta for the night, moving out next morning
in a northerly direction along the railroad. About noon the undersigned was overcome by the heat and chills and fever,
and was returned to Manila to the hospital.

In the first engagement near Caloocan in front of our trenches the company lost the following: Private Edward H. Lammers,
seriously wounded right arm and left breast; Private John T. Skillman, wounded left arm near elbow ;
Sergt. L. L. Gregg, slightly wounded between fingers of right hand and did not leave the company. There were no other casualties.

J. F. Kreps, Captain, Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding Company M.



Manila, P. I., April 4, 1899. Capt. B. C. Lockwood,

Twenty-second Infantry, Manila, P. I.

Sir: Pursuant to instructions received this day, I have the honor to submit the following report of the movements, battles,
and engagements participated in by Company E, Twenty-second Infantry, during the period from March 24 to March 31, 1899.

The company left Nipa Barracks, Manila, P. I., as part of the Second Battalion, Twenty-second Infantry, March 24, 1899, at about 7 p. m.,
and marched through Manila to a position in rear of the trenches occupied by the Montana Volunteer Infantry, going into camp
about 10.30 a. m. Broke camp about 6 p. m. and moved into the trenches. Distance traveled, about 6 miles.

On March 25, 1899, about 6 a. m., the company left the trenches and advanced on the enemy who were also intrenched,
compelling them to retreat. At about 10 a. m. the company took up a position near the Dagupan Railroad, which it held until the morning
of the 26th. During the day there was some firing from the enemy, and Privates Fred U. Arndt and William Howard were wounded.

At about 8 a. m., March 26, the company left the railroad and moved to the right across the river, acting as reserve for the Third Battalion,
Twenty-second Infantry, and protecting its flank in the movement against Malinta, camping for the night at Malinta church.
Distance traveled, about 6 miles.

At about 9 a. m., March 27, the company broke camp and marched to Meycauayan, where it camped for the night. Distance traveled, about 3 miles.

At 4 p. m., March 28, broke camp and marched to Marilao, camping for the night Distance, 2 miles.

At 8 a. m., March 29, broke camp and marched to Bocaue, camping there for the nights of March 29 and 30. Distance traveled, about 3 miles.

At 8.30 a. m., March 31, broke camp and marched to Bigaa, camping there for the night. Distance traveled, about 2 miles.

The casualties for the period were, none killed, 2 wounded, none missing.

Very respectfully,

R. B. Parrott,
Second Lieutenant, Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding Company E.



Manila, P. I., April 4, 1899. Capt. B. C. Lockwood,

Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding Second Battalion,

Twenty-second Infantry.

Sir: Pursuant to instructions received this day, I have the honor to submit the following report of the movements, battles, and engagements
participated in by Company G, Twenty-second Infantry, as part of Second Battalion, Twenty-second Infantry during the period
from March 24 to March 31,1899, both dates inclusive.

Left barracks at Manila, as part of Second Battalion, Twenty-second Infantry, March 24, 1899, about 7 a. m. Marched about 6 miles
and went into camp at Caloocan, occupying trenches vacated by Montana Volunteer Infantry.

Left trenches about 6 a. m. March 25, 1899. Battalion advanced on the enemy. Company was in the reserve until 12 pm.;
then engaged enemy intrenched across river. Firing continued until nightfall. Casualties: One private (Bert E. Clough) wounded
as trenches were left. Camped for night along Dagupan Railroad.

Broke camp about 8 a. m. March 26, 1899, and moved to the right across river, acting as reserve for right wing of regiment.
Enemy engaged at Malinta Hill, driven from their position by a charge. Camped for the night at Malinta Church. Distance marched about 6 miles.

Broke camp about 9 a. m. March 27, 1899, and marched to Meycauayan, where we camped for the night. Distance, about 3 miles.

Broke camp about 4 p. m. March 28, 1899, and marched to Marilao, where camped for night. Distance, about 2 miles.

Broke camp about 8 a. m. Marched to Bocaue. Camped night of March 30, 1899.

Broke camp about 3 p. m., March 30, 1899. Moved back across river, camping near railroad bridge, battalion acting as guard for divisional wagon train.

Broke camp about 8.30 a. m. March 31, 1899. Recrossed river and marched to Bigaa. Camped for night. Distance, about 2 miles.

No further casualties occurred.

Very respectfully,

T. W. Moore,
First Lieutenant, Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding Company G.



MaLate, Nipa Barracks.

On March 24 the company proceeded with the regiment to Caloocan and occupied the trenches vacated by the Montana regiment
at 6.15 a. m. On the 25th Company D, on the left of Company M, advanced to protect the left of the Third Artillery.
It advanced within 600 yards of the enemy's trenches, losing 2 privates wounded, namely, George C. Richards and Nicholas Gearin.
The company then moved forward with the regiment till it came to the Tausa River. Moving down the river by the left flank,
found the enemy intrenched across the river near railroad bridge. The company took up position on right of battalion
and kept up a desultory fire till after dark; range, 300 yards. Private Ira W. Cox became exhausted from heat and loss of blood from his lungs
and was sent to the hospital. That night company retained offensive position till next morning, March 26, then moved with regiment upstream 10 miles,
crossed the Tausa River, and moved down river and struck the enemy's trenches in flank, causing the enemy to retreat.
At this time I turned the command of Company D over to Lieutenant Campbell on account of sickness.

Very respectfully,

Isaac Newell, First Lieutenant, Twenty-second Infantry.

On March 26, about 9 o'clock, Lieutenant Newell turned the command of Company D, Twenty-second Infantry, over to me
on account of sickness, and the company was moved on until it was about 100 yards from the railroad, where it remained
until the advance on Malinta, when it moved forward in support of the First Battalion of the Twenty-second Infantry.
After the town was taken the company moved to the left as far as the river and then forward along the river bank about 900 yards,
then returned to Malinta, where we camped. The next day we moved forward with the regiment, which with the rest of General Wheaton's brigade,
was in support of General MacArthur's division, as far as Meycauayan, where we camped that night, and the next day
about 2 o'clock moved forward to Bocaue, and again went into camp. About 10 o'clock the next morning we moved forward
in support of the firing line as far as Bigaa, where the regiment camped for the night. The next three days the company stayed at Bigaa
as a guard for the wagon train. The next move was to Bulacan, where the company stayed as a guard to the wagon tram until April 2,
when we were ordered to our barracks, arriving at latter place about 9 o'clock that night.

Very respectfully,

H. K. Campbell, Second Lieutenant, Twenty-second Infantry.



Nipa Barracks, Manila, P. I., April, 1899. Capt. B. C. Lockwcod,

Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding Second Battalion.

Sir : In pursuance of orders, I have the honor to submit herewith a report of the part taken by Company M, Second Battalion U. S. Infantry,
in the operations against the enemy from March 27 to April 3, 1899, inclusive.

On the order of commanding officer of the regiment I reported to you at the town of Polo at about 10 o'clock a. m., March 27,
and in compliance with your order, assumed command of Company M, and, together with the rest of the battalion, moved to the right
beyond the railroad to a stream in that vicinity, being deployed in line of skirmishers and on the right of the battalion
which was on the rignt of the regiment. After a halt of about thirty minutes at the river mentioned, and the enemy to the railroad
and proceeded thereon to Meycauayan, where dinner and supper were not appearing in any force, the company moved with the battalion
by the left flank and brought in 9 wounded and reported having found 19 dead.

The company with the regiment remained at Meycauayan until about4 o'clock p. m., March 28,
when it proceeded to Marilao and bivouacked for the night.

March 29 the company with the battalion and regiment broke camp and moved at 8 o'.clock a. m. to a point about midway
between Bocaue and Bigaa, where the Dagupan Railway crosses a river, and bivouacked for the night on the north bank of the river
just west of the railroad. March 30, the battalion being left as guard for the wagon train, while the rest of the regiment moved forward toward Malolos,
Company M remained with the battalion in the camp of the preceding night until about 4 p. m., when it moved with the battalion
back to the opposite side of the stream and camped there for the night.

March 31 camp was broken at 7 a. m. and the company with the battalion marched as guard to the wagon train
to the bank of the river opposite church and monastery of Bigaa and bivouacked.

April 1 camp was broken at daylight and Company M was, under your orders and direction, ferried across the river
to the monastery of Bigaa and then ferried the wagon train of our regiment and Third Artillery across. The balance of the battalion
also crossing the stream, it proceeded with the train to a point about 2 miles beyond the river, when orders being received from the front
to return, it turned back to the monastery and cathedral at Bigaa and bivouacked for the remainder of the day and that night,
Company M occupying the monastery.

April 2 reveille was sounded at 4.30 a. m., and immediately after breakfast, under your orders I reported to First Lieut. Wilson Chase,
quartermaster, Twenty-second Infantry, as guard for the regimental train; ferried it back across the river and proceeded
to about a quarter of a mile south of Caloocan, arriving there about 10 o'clock that night after a march of about 15 miles,
and encamped for the night. Dinner was eaten that day at a point midway between Bocaue and Marilao, and supper at Tinajeros.

April 3 the company broke camp at daybreak and marched to its barracks, arriving here at about 10.30 a. m.,
when I reported and turned the company over to Capt. J. F. Kreps upon order of commanding officer.

Sergeant Nelwroth, Corporal Cole, and Privates Dean and Roof broke down during the return march, all except Private Dean
being sufferers from Cuban fever; Private Dean suffered from dysentery. The rest of the members of the company stood the march fairly well.

Very respectfully submitted.

I. W. Leonard, Second Lieutenant, Twenty-second Infantry.



Barasoain Church and Convent at Malolos, seen here after the occupation of the city by the Americans.
It was here that Aguinaldo convened the constitutional convention of 1898 and on January 23, 1899
declared the First Philippine Republic.



Nipa Barracks, Manila, P. L, April 6, 1899. Adjutant Twenty-second U. S. Infantry,

Nipa Barracks, Manila, P. I.

Sir: I have the honor to submit a report of the operations of the Third Battalion, Twenty-second U. S. Infantry, in the recent advance on Malolos.

The battalion left Nipa Barracks about 7.15 a. m., March 24,1899, taking the advance of the Twenty-second Infantry.
The command moved to within 1 mile of Caloocan, where it rested until dusk, when it took up the march and moved to the trenches
in front of Caloocan, the battalion taking position on the left of the regiment, joining on the right of the Oregon regiment in the angle
at this part of the line. On the following morning the battalion moved out of the trenches, taking up the march with the troops on the right.
This movement was about 8 a. m.

Previously to leaving the trenches Lieut. H. L. Jackson, Twenty-second Infantry, commanding Company C, Twenty-second Infantry,
was seriously wounded by a shot from the enemy's line. He was immediately sent to the rear, and I directed Lieutenant Murphy,
acting adjutant, to take charge of the company.

After moving forward about one-half mile a staff officer of General Wheaton's staff detached Company H (Captain Hodges)
to move forward and take the railroad embankment in front. This company, afterwards becoming separated from the command,
joined in with the Oregon regiment, where it did excellent service with the volunteers.

Subsequently Companies B and C moved up to the line of the railroad and took position. Company B, on the left, had a very effective fire
on the enemy, which was firing on the Oregon regiment from the woods in front. Company L soon after this moved up and took position on this line,
and in doing so Private Hunsicker, Company L, Twenty-second Infantry, was seriously wounded.

About 9.30 a. m. the battalion was ordered forward to the river on left of the rajlroad. Here it encountered the enemy,
who was occupying a fort on the line of the railroad, about 1,500 yards back from the river. In front of this, and about half the distance
from the fort to the river, the enemy was also discovered well intrenched. There was also another farther to the left and rear.
From these the enemy kept up an incessant flre nearly all day on the command, the battalion replying at intervals. .

At dark the battalion was ordered to join the regiment about 500 yards to the rear, where it rested for the night.

On the morning of the 26th, at 7 a. m., the command was ordered to the right, and while waiting to get position in column,
Private Dunlap, Company L, Twenty-second Infantry, was wounded in the hand. After having marched about 1 mile
the command crossed the river, the water being over waist deep. After crossing, the command was formed in line of squads,
facing west, the left of the battalion touching on the river, and the objective being the railroad, the First Battalion on the right
and the Second Battalion and part of the Twenty-third Infantry following in reserve.

In this position the troops were moved forward to the railroad, the ground being almost impassable on account of the swamps
and dense brush. After a great deal of difficulty the railroad was reached, the enemy retreating hastily to the rear. Having rested a few minutes here,
the regimental commander (Colonel Egbert) came up in person and directed me to change direction to the right and move forward
to the wood in front and take position on the right of the First Battalion.

In front was a place called Malinta, which was held by the enemy and well intrenched; distance to these trenches about 1,500 yards.

Soon firing was heard on the left of the regiment, the enemy keeping up a constant fire, bullets falling quite thick among the men
of the Third Battalion. I could hear cheering by our men on the left as they were charging the enemy. Company L, Twenty-second Infantry,
Lieutenant Wolfe commanding, being in the open ground on the left, joined in the charge, losing his first sergeant,
Charles F. Brooke, Twentysecond Infantry.

On account of the dense brush the balance of the command had no open fire to the front and did not fire a shot on this part of the line.

Captain Hodges went forward with a few scouts to reconnoiter the ground; shortly after he signaled to move forward as he had found open ground.

At the time of the firing on the left heavy firing was heard on our right, which proved to be from the Third Artillery.
During this advance First Lieut. Patrick J. Byrne, Company B, Twenty-second Infantry, was wounded in the leg.
The command rested at Malinta for the night.

On the morning of the 27th the battalion moved at 6 o'clock a. m. along the railroad in the direction of Meycauayan;
Company B, of the battalion, was detached to march on the railroad track.

The battalion reached the town at 4.30 p. m. Captain Hodges with his company was detached to guard the town.

The 28th, 29th, and 30th was occupied by the battalion in moving forward slowly as part of the rear guard for General MacArthur's division.

On the morning of the 31st the regiment moved forward in line of skirmishes on the left of the railroad, the Third Battalion
in support of the First Montana and Twentieth Kansas regiments. In this position the command entered Malolos without opposition.

The command remained in camp here until the 2d of April, 1899, when it was ordered to proceed to its barracks in Malate.

The greater part of the Twenty-second Infantry at the time of its arrival here was composed of recruits, about 70 per cent
averaging about three months' service. The old men could not be relied upon for the reason that they had contracted malaria in Cuba
and had to be constantly sent to the rear. This was also the case among the officers. But as far as the action of the recruits on the firing line is concerned,
it could hardly be surpassed. All they require is more drill and instruction in guard duty, and I have no doubt but they will soon become excellent soldiers.
There was an average of one officer to a company in the Third Battalion, and the work of the company commanders was incessantly hard.

In this connection I desire to commend Capt. H. C. Hodges, Twenty-second Infantry, commanding Company H;
First Lieut. 0. R. Wolfe, Twenty-second Infantry, commanding Company L; Second Lieut. Charles A. Bridges, Twentysecond Infantry,
commanding Company C; Second Lieut. David L. Stone, Twentysecond Infantry, commanding Company B; also the acting adjutant,
Second Lieut. Charles N. Murphy, Twenty-second Infantry, for their efficiency and ability dis....... ......eports of company commanders herewith inclosed.

Very respectfully,

W. H. Keix,

Captain, Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding Third Batlalian.

(Ed., Interestingly the above report names Patrick J. Byrne as a First Lieutenant.....he was a First Sergeant )




"General Wheaton and his aids at the suburbs of Malolos, preparing to enter after the retreating insurgents.
This was the early seat of the Tagal government. The soldiers are at parade rest in the road awaiting orders to advance."

Photo from:
A Wonderful Reproduction of LIVING SCENES In Natural Color Photos of America's New Posssessions.
F. Tennyson Neely. New York, Chicago, London: 1899



Nipa Barracks, Manila, P. I., April 4, 1899. Adjutant Third Battalion, Twenty-second Infantry,

Manila, P. I.

Sir: I have the honor to make the following report of the operations of Company H, Twenty-second Infantry, from March 24 to April 2, 1899, inclusive:

The company, as part of the Third Battalion, Twenty-second Infantry, left Nipa Barracks at 7.15 o'clock a. m., March 24, 1899,
and marched through Manila along the road to within 1 mile of Caloocan, and there halted and remained until nearly dusk,
when the battalion was marched to Caloocan Church, taking position to the right of the church in trenches occupied by the First Montana Volunteer Infantry.

The company placed in position two outposts about 600 yards in advance of the trenches. No movement on the part of the insurgents during the night.

On March 25, 1899, the company was astir early. At 8 o'clock a. m. it marched out as the reserve of the Third Battalion, Twenty-second Infantry.
At 9 o'clock a. m. the company was ordered to the left directly to the railway embankment and against the trenches of the insurgents,
protecting the approaches to Malabon from that direction. Immediately executed the order. On moving beyond the railway track
found a strong line of trenches from which the insurgents had already been driven, and soon I reached the position occupied
by the Second Oregon Volunteer Infantry, hotly engaged with the enemy intrenched at the edge of bamboo thicket about 800 yards away.
As the entire available space was occupied by the Oregon regiment, my company could not be used to extend the firing line,
so my company relieved a company of the Oregon regiment temporarily, and for a time practically, with the exception of a company on the left,
alone continued the fire against the insurgents while the Oregon regiment prepared to charge the trenches.
During this engagement Sergt, Albert E. Axt was wounded in the left forearm and Private Fritz Herter was grazed by a bullet at the right wrist.
The surgeon of the Oregon regiment treated both cases. Private Herter rejoined his company almost immediately.
When the Oregon regiment charged the insurgent trenches my company was moved forward in its rear, and after the trenches were taken
was moved to the right and joined the Third Battalion, Twenty-second Infantry, and remained near the railway on the bank of the stream
north of Malabon the remainder of the day. At dusk the battalion was moved to the position held by the artillery on the railway track.

March 26, 1899.—The company, as part of its battalion, was moved about 1 mile to the east of its bivouac, to a ford of the river,
crossed the river, and then marched back to the railroad track. A sharp but short fire was opened on us from trenches near Malinta.
During the advance on Malinta and during the attack the company was in the woods to the right of the railway track and exposed at times
to rather sharp fire, but not able to reply to it. The company bivouacked at Malinta.

March 27,1899.—Marched along the road from Malinta to the railway station at Meycauayan. At 7 o'clock p. m. my company was ordered
to cross the river, reenter Meycauayan and take necessary steps to repel any possible attack from that direction. This was done.
The main body was placed between the cathedral and the bridge and outposts properly disposed. No alarm of any kind.

March 28,1899.—Patrols and two small outposts and a guard at the bridge were continued. At 4 p. m. the company was ordered
to join the battalion on the march. Bivouacked at Marilao; 2 miles.

March 29, 1899.—Marched along the railway track to a point a short distance beyond Bocaue; 5 miles.

March 30, 1899.—Marched along the railway track to a point about 1 mile beyond Guiguinto. At 5.15 p. m. was directed
to take my company and establish it about 1,000 yards to the northeast of the bivouac of the regiment. This was done.
Outposts were placed about 600 yards beyond the bivouac of the company.

March 81, 1899.—At 1.45 a. m. orders were received from the battalion commander for the company to rejoin the battalion,
and ready to march at 4.30 a. m. The men were aroused in time to prepare their breakfast. The company left its bivouac at 4.15 a. m.
and was reported to the battalion commander at 4.30 a. m. At 6 a. m. the command marched. This company was deployed
as the right company of the Third Battalion, Twenty-second Infantry, and formed part of the reserve. In the movement on Malolos
no difficulty of any kind was encountered by this company except such as arose from endeavoring to penetrate bamboo thickets
from time to time. Such an obstacle was particularly difficult immediately before entering Malolos.
After capture of Malolos a bivouac was selected near the railway track.

April 1, 1899.—Remained in camp.

April 2, 1899.—Left camp at 9.15 a. m., marched one-half mile, and boarded cars for Manila. Reached Nipa Barracks 1.30 p. m.

Very respectfully, H. C. Hodges, Jr.,

Captain, Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding Company H.



US troops in the public square at Malolos

Photo from:
A Wonderful Reproduction of LIVING SCENES In Natural Color Photos of America's New Posssessions.
F. Tennyson Neely. New York, Chicago, London: 1899


Nipa Barracks, Manila, P. I., April 4, 1899. Adjutant Third Battalion.

Sir: I have the honor to submit a full report of Company L, Twenty-second Infantry, in the late campaign, from March 24, 1899, to April 2,1899.

We left Nipa Barracks at 6 a. m. March 24 and marched 7 miles north of Manila, where we rested with the regiment until dusk;
then marched 2 miles, camping in the trenches by Caloocan. We broke camp on the morning of March 23, and forming a line as skirmishers,
acting as a reserve, we advanced on Malabon, where we had an engagement, with 1 man wounded.
We then camped for the night north of Malabon on railroad track.

Breaking camp on the morning of March 26, we had 1 more wounded. Then we forded the river Bonsauga and charged on the enemy's trenches
at Malinta, with 1 man killed. We then went into camp at the above place for the night.

March 27, broke camp at 8 a. m., marching from Malinta to Meycauayan (as reserve), a distance of about 6 miles; then went into camp.

March 28, left camp at 4 a. m., marching 2 miles; we camped at Marilao.

March 29, marched out of Marilao at 8 a. in. and camped for the night near Banco.

March 30, moved up the railroad, throwing out Third Battalion as skirmishers, and camped for the night about 3 miles north of Malolos.

March 31, broke camp at 4.30 a. m., still acting as a reserve; we marched into Malolos at 11.30 a. m., camping in outskirts of city, opposite railroad depot.

April 1 made no move, but still remained in camp opposite depot. On the morning of April 2 broke camp at 8 a. m.,
with orders to proceed by rail to Nipa Barracks, Manila, P. I., where we arrived at 2 p. m. same day and date.

Very respectfully,

Orrin R. Wolfe; First Lieutenant, Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding Company L.



Nipa Barracks, Manila, P. I. April 4, 1899. Adjutant Third Battalion, Twenty-second Infantry,

Manila, P. I.

Sin: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of Company B, Twenty-second Infantry,
from March 24, 1899, to April 2, 1899, inclusive:

The company, as part of the Third Battalion, Twenty-second Infantry, left Nipa Barracks, Manila, P. I., at 7.15 a. m., March 24 1899,
and marched north to within 1 mile of Caloocan and there halted and remained until dusk, when the battalion advanced
and took position in the trenches near Caloocan Church, relieving the First Montana Volunteer Infantry.
Company B's position was in the left center of the battalion.

The trenches of the insurgents were about 600 yards distant and their voices could be plainly heard,
but excepting some desultory firing they gave no trouble during the night.

About 6 o'clock the next morning (the 25th) quite a brisk fire was opened from the trenches of the insurgents, but no one in the company was hurt.

About 8 o'clock on the morning of the 25th the battalion moved out of the trenches and advanced toward the enemy.
When about 400 yards from our trenches Private George C. Miller was wounded, the bullet passing through both legs.
His wounds were immediately bandaged by members of the company and he was sent back to the dressing station.

The enemy were now in intrenchments in the edge of the woods on the left of the railroad, and were being engaged in the front,
by Company H, Twenty-second Infantry, and the Second Oregon Volunteer Infantry. I was ordered by Captain Kell,
commanding; the Third Battalion, to take my company along the railroad and find a place from which a flank fire could be opened
upon the insurgents. An admirable position was found and the company was able to open a very effective fire from the left flank of the insurgents,
who were in the edge of the woods and were using black powder and were consequently a very plain target. After a short time
the firing from the woods ceased, and I was ordered to join my battalion, which I did.
Nothing further happened that day and at night we camped near the railroad north of Malabon.

March 26, 1899, the company, as part of the battalion forded the river about 1 mile from the railroad and advanced upon the insurgents,
who were strongly intrenched at Malinta. The company was obliged to pass through woods and underbrush, and at times was exposed
to a very heavy fire, but was unable to reply to it. At one time they had to pull down a bamboo fence under a heavy fire,
and here First Sergt. Patrick J. Byrne was wounded in the leg and was immediately cared for by the Hospital Corps.
The company was cool and strictly attentive to orders throughout. I desire to mention the strict performance of duty and efficient work
of First Sergt. Patrick J. Byrne, Sergt. Michael O' Flaherty, Sergt. George Charlton, Sergt. John Nelson, and Sergt. Archie Dubarry,
all of Company B, Twenty-second Infantry.

The days of March 27, 28, 29, and 30 were spent in marching by slow stages toward Malolos. In the movement on Malolos
on March 31, 1899, the company as part of the battalion was deployed as the left company and formed part of the reserve.
No opposition was encountered in this movement and the company as part of the regiment entered the town
and camped just outside the town until April 2, when the battalion returned to Manila by train.

Very respectfully, David L. Stone,

Second Lieutenant, Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding Company B.



Manila, P. I.

Battalion Adjutant, Third Battalion Twenty-second Infantry.

Sir : I have the honor to submit the following report of the movements of Company C, Twenty-second Infantry, from March 24 to April 2,1899:

Company C, Twenty-second Infantry, left Nipa Barracks with the regiment March 24,1899, and marched to Caloocan;
distance marched, about 9 miles. Before arriving at Caloocan a halt was made until about dusk, when the regiment moved up to trenches
outside of Caloocan and there took position, relieving the Montana regiment, Company C taking position on the extreme left.

March 25,1899, First Lieut. H. L. Jackson, commanding Company C, wounded; this at about 5 o'clock a. m.,
and I was attached to command the company. Moved out of trenches with command and received fire from enemy on the left.
Moved out by left flank and took position on railroad track and opened fire on enemy. Marched forward with Third Battalion
about 2 miles on railroad track and went to bank of river with Third Battalion; opened fire on enemy, who were in a blockhouse.
Remained with battalion on river bank all day, and about dusk withdrew about a quarter of a mile and camped for night.

March 26, 1899, marched about 2 miles up river with regiment, crossed river and moved to railroad track.
The direction was then changed to right, and Company C was on extreme right of Third Battalion, which occupied position
on right of regiment. Moved through dense growth of brush and bamboo, under constant fire, to road leading to Malinta,
which position the Second Battalion charged and carried; about the same time the Third Battalion arrived on road.
Regiment bivouacked at Malinta for night. Outposts were placed in advance and on flanks of battalion. Nothing occurred during night.

March 27, 1899, marched along road from Malinta to Meycauayan and bivouacked here for night.

March 28, 1899, Lieutenant Bridges took command of company. Remained in camp at Meycauayan until 4 o'clock p. m.,
when regiment marched 2 miles and bivouacked at Manlao.

March 29,1899, marched on the railroad track about 6 miles to the town of Bocaue and bivouacked there.

March 30,1899, marched along track through town of Guiguinto and bivouacked about 2 miles beyond this place. At about 5.30 p. m.,
when camp for night was being prepared, report came in that the enemy had advanced and were occupying trenches about 200 yards on left.
The regiment deployed as skirmishers, Company C occupying right of Third Battalion, and moved about a mile in direction
the enemy was supposed to be, but encountered nothing. Marched back to camp.

March 31,1899, Lieutenant Bridges relieved, and I again assumed command of company. Company C was deployed as left center company
of Third Battalion, Twenty-second Infantry, and formed part of the reserve in the movement on Malolos. No resistance was offered at Malolos,
and after the capture of the town this company bivouacked with regiment near railroad track just outside of town.

April 1,1899, remained in camp.

April 2,1899, left camp at about 9 o'clock a. m.; marched about three-fourths of a mile and took train for Manila.
Marched about 2 miles from depot to Nipa Barracks, arriving at about 1.30 p. m.

Very respectfully, Chas. N. Murphy,

Second Lieutenant, Twenty-second Infantry, Commanding Company C.









Home | Photos | Battles & History | Current |
Rosters & Reports | Medal of Honor | Killed in Action |
Personnel Locator | Commanders | Station List | Campaigns |
Honors | Insignia & Memorabilia | 4-42 Artillery | Taps |
What's New | Editorial | Links |