Horace George Hambright

Company A 22nd Infantry

DOD 04/15/1896



Horace G. Hambright was born on September 24, 1869 in Loudon, Loudon County, Tennessee.

He entered the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York on June 16, 1887 and resigned
from the Academy on November 15, 1887. He was re-admitted to the Academy on June 16, 1888.

Hambright graduated at the bottom of his class, number 62 out of a class of 62 on June 11, 1892 and
was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the 22nd Infantry. Also assigned to the 22nd Infantry from his
graduating class that year was Peter W. Davison who graduated number 45 out of the class of 62.

While at the Academy Hambright's best subjects were Drill Regulations and English and his worst subjects
were French and Mathematics.

Upon graduation Hambright was given the normal graduating leave and reported to Company A 22nd Infantry
at Fort Keogh, Montana on September 30, 1892. He was on Detached Service at Fort Buford, North Dakota
from December 4-26, 1892 before rejoining his Company at Fort Keogh serving there into 1893.

From April 24 through May 23, 1893 Hambright was on Detached Service at Fort Keogh with Troop L 8th Cavalry,
also known as Casey's Scouts which was an official part of the 22nd Infantry.

In May 1893 the Commander of Company A Captain John McAdams Webster was out sick in his quarters and
the 1st Lieutenant of the Company George J. Godfrey was temporarily attached to Company C so Hambright
assumed command of Company A on May 29. He continued in command of Company A until Webster returned
in October 1893.

Hambright was on Detached Service with Casey's Scouts from October 31 to December 11, 1893 and again
from December 29, 1893 to January 22, 1894 before rejoining Company A.

The Panic of 1893 resulted in a country wide depression leaving many unemployed and disgruntled citizens
who formed into groups of protesters, the largest of which was "Coxey's Army." A contingent of "Coxey's Army"
in the Pacific Northwest was led by William Hogan and formed in Helena and Butte, Montana. In 1894 this contingent
was on the move to join in a large protest called for in Washington, D.C. and had taken over railroad trains to move
themselves across the country. The 22nd Infantry was ordered to detain and arrest Hogan's group.

In April 1894 Hambright and Company A were moved to Helena, Montana to counteract activities by the Hogan group.
From July 31 to August 29 Hambright was on Detached Service commanding a detachment from his Company acting
as train guards on the Northern Pacific Rail Road Company. From July 31 to August 2 he commanded his detachment
escorting the train from Fort Keogh to Missoula, Montana. From August 4-8 he commanded his detachment at Powder River
guarding the railroad bridge there. He rejoined his Company at Camp Merritt, Montana on August 30, 1894.

In November 1894 Hambright and Company A returned to Fort Keogh. He was absent with leave from November 12-15.
He was sick in quarters from December 18-24.

From April 24 to September 1, 1895 he was away from Fort Keogh on Detached Service carrying out surveying duties.
He rejoined his Company at Fort Yates, North Dakota on September 1, 1895 and then immediately took leave until
December 2, 1895 when he rejoined the Company at Fort Yates. From December 20, 1895 to January 5, 1896 he was
on Detached Service performing Scouting duties. He rejoined his Company at Fort Yates on January 6.

From February 6-10, 1896 Hambright was on Detached Service at Mandan, North Dakota.

On March 6, 1896 with Captain Webster out on leave and 1st Lieutenant Godfrey sick in his quarters Hambright
assumed command of Company A.

He was still in command of the Company at Fort Yates when on April 15, 1896 he died from
injuries he suffered when thrown from his horse.


Above: The entry for Horace G. Hambright in the Returns of the 22nd Infantry for the month of April 1896.
The entry reads:
Died. A
(Company) 2d Lieut. Horace G. Hambright Ft Yates, N.D. at Fort Yates, N.D. April 15, 96. Cause: "Cerebral hemorrhage
and laceration of the Cerebral tissue," due to fall from horse, striking head on left side.



According to an article in the Bismark Daily Tribune dated April 15, 1896 Hambright was thrown from his horse
on April 14 and an operation was performed on him at Fort Yates in an effort to save his life. The article states
that he survived until the next day, April 15 when he died.

Another article in the Bismark Daily Tribune dated April 17, 1896 states that the body of Horace G. Hambright
was brought to Mandan, North Dakota on April 16 to be taken the next day to Loudon, Tennessee for interment.
The article further states that the body was to be accompanied east by "Lieut. Marshall." There was no Lieutenant
Marshall with the 22nd Infantry at that time, but there was a 2nd Lieutenant Francis C. Marshall assigned to Troop F
8th Cavalry. The 8th Cavalry was stationed at that time throughout the Dakotas including Fort Yates and therefore
the 1st Batallion website believes this was the officer who escorted the body of Horace G. Hambright home.



Above: The eulogy for Horace G. Hambright from the Association of Graduates
of the U.S. Military Academy




Steekee Cemetery
Loudon County
Plot: Section A - Row 2 - Grave 5


The grave monument for Horace G. Hambright

Photo by Joy from the Find A Grave website




As part of the modernization of U.S. coastal defenses begun in 1895 a coastal artillery battery was built within an existing
fort on the Georgia seacoast at the mouth of the Savannah River. The battery was named Battery Hambright in honor
of 2nd Lieutenant Horace G. Hambright of the 22nd Infantry.

Work on the battery was begun in 1899 and the fortification was completed on March 31, 1901.

"Measuring 100-feet by 50-feet, the concrete and steel structure of the battery stands 15-feet high. It was designed to mount
two 3-inch rifles, but there is no indication the guns were ever actually installed. The face of the battery was covered with
a massive mound of earth to protect it from the heavy naval guns of the day."

The battery still stands today as part of the Fort Pulaski National Monument on Cockspur Island
in the mouth of the Savannah River at Savannah, Georgia.



Above: Map of the Fort Pulaksi National Monument
Battery Hambright is marked near the top of the map just inside the Historic Dike area.

Graphic from the National Park Service website




Battery Hambright as it looks today

Photo from the U.S. Forting Exploring Historical U.S. Forts website




An aerial view of Battery Hambright
The two rounded areas are where the 3 inch guns would have been mounted.

Photo from the Starforts.com website










Photo of Horace G. Hambright as a cadet at West Point by KatherineLynnNobles from Ancestry.com

Seeman & Peters, Printers and Binders Saginaw, Michigan 1896

Explore Southern History.com website








Home | Photos | Battles & History | Current |
Rosters & Reports | Medal of Honor | Killed in Action |
Personnel Locator | Commanders | Station List | Campaigns |
Honors | Insignia & Memorabilia | 4-42 Artillery | Taps |
What's New | Editorial | Links |