Campbell Wallace Flake

Company A 22nd Infantry

KIA 01/22/1904



Campbell W. Flake was born in Greene County, Georgia on October 31, 1875.
He graduated from Young Harris College in Georgia in 1895.

Flake enlisted as a Private in the 3rd U.S. Volunteer Infantry on June 21, 1898. He was mustered out of the
3rd U.S.V.I. on May 2, 1899 after having served with the Regiment on occupation duty in Cuba. During his
service with the 3rd U.S.V.I. he had attained the rank of 1st Sergeant of Company I.

On February 2, 1901 he was offered a commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 27th Infantry,
accepting the position on July 26 of that year. He was assigned to Company A at Fort McPherson,
Georgia on September 1, 1901. He was transferred to Company D on November 20, 1901.

Flake was transferred to the 22nd Infantry on December 2, 1901. He was assigned to Company A at
Fort McPherson, Georgia on January 16, 1902. He served with Company A at Fort Reno, Indian Territory
and at Fort Riley, Kansas. From July 27 to September 25, 1903 he was on a leave of absence.

In October 1903 Flake sailed with the 22nd Infantry aboard the transport Sheridan for the Philippines.
At Camp Marahui on the island of Mindanao with Company A's Commander Captain Joseph Donovan
temporarily assigned to command 3rd Battalion and Company A's 1st Lieutenant William Neely temporarily
assigned to command Company C, Flake assumed command of Company A on December 23, 1903.

Still in command of Company A 2nd Lieutenant Campbell W. Flake was killed in action on Mindanao,
Philippine Islands, on January 22, 1904.

While on an expedition leading Company A as part of 1st Battalion, Flake and his fellow officer, 2nd Lieutenant William E. Roberts,
the 1st Battalion Quartermaster, were with the lead elements of the Battalion, when they came upon a Moro fort, or cotta,
at the entrance to the village of Ramaien, at the northern end of Lake Lanao.

Attempts were made to parley with the inhabitants of the fort, who responded as if to desire such a
parley, but armed warriors in and around the fort carried out activities which suggested they were
preparing for battle, not for talking.

Before the Moros could assume strong defensive positions, Flake and Roberts led a charge against the fort,
and both were cut down by a hail of bullets from the fort. Flake's men were forced to withdraw under the deadly fire,
dragging their wounded officers to safety. Lieutenant Roberts was severely wounded when struck in the right shoulder
from the gunfire. Private Charles Foy also from Company A was lightly wounded by a bullet
which glanced off his head above his right eye.

Lieutenant Flake suffered gunshot wounds through his left shoulder and his abdomen.
Flake's wounds proved to be fatal.


The Return of Casualties for the 22nd Infantry January 22, 1904.

On Line 2 Campbell W. Flake is noted as receiving:

"Gunshot wounds through
left shoulder and abdomen -
severe - lived but a few
moments after being shot."



The Regimental history from 1904 provides a short biography of Campbell Flake:


CAMP MARAHUI, MINDANAO, P. I. January 23rd, 1904.

It has become the sad duty of the Regimental Commander to announce the death of an officer:
2nd Lieutenant Campbell W. Flake, 22nd infantry.
Killed in action at Ramaien river, Lake Lanao, Mindanao January 22, 1904, against savage and treacherous Moros.
He died a soldier's death. Shot dead on the field of battle.
His record is closed. He has given his life to his country.

Brave, courteous, prompt, willing, and efficient were the qualities which endeared him to all.
The regiment has lost a fine young officer, cut down in the prime of his splendid physical strength. His loss is deeply mourned.
To the widow and orphan sincerest sympathy is extended.
Lieut. Flake was born October 31, 1875. Enlisted June 17, 1898, in the 3rd U. S. vol. infantry, and served as first sergeant
until May 2, 1899, when he was mustered out. During this time he served in Cuba from August, 1898, until April, 1899.
Commissioned 2nd lieutenant of infantry on July 15, 1901, and assigned to 27th infantry.
Transferred to 22nd infantry, December 2, 1901, and assigned to company A, in which organization he served until killed.
As a mark of respect officers of the regiment will wear the usual badge of mourning for thirty days.

Captain, 22nd Infantry Adjutant.





Newspapers in the United States reported the death
of Campbell Flake over the last week of January 1904.
Left and below are several examples of the coverage.


The Washington Times Saturday January 23, 1904

Library of Congress Chronicling America website



Newspaper clipping announcing the death of Campbell Flake.
Printed in the
San Francisco Call, Tuesday, January 26, 1904

CDNC California Digital Newspaper Collection




Newspaper article on Flake's death from the New London newspaper The Day January 1904



Bismarck Daily Tribune Tuesday January 26, 1904

Library of Congress Chronicling America website



Los Angeles Herald Sunday January 24, 1904

CDNC California Digital Newspaper Collection




The gunboat Flake on Lake Lanao, Island of Midanao, Philippine Islands.

Named after Lt. Campbell Flake, the gunboat was used in several actions by the 22nd Infantry on Mindanao,
in 1904 and 1905. It mounted a 37mm Vickers/Maxim automatic rapid fire gun on the bow.

From Amphibious Infantry A Fleet On Lake Lanao by Colonel Parker Hitt,
US Naval Institute Proceedings 1938




Campbell Flake's decorations
Left to right: Spanish War Service Medal, Cuban Occupation Medal, Philippine Campaign Medal





Macon Telegraph - 9/29/1904 - Page 6.



Atlanta, September 23 - the remains of Lieut. Campbell W. Flake of the Twenty-second United States infantry reached Atlanta
today from San Francisco. The funeral services will be held Sunday next at Trinity Methodist Church. The boy will be buried
with military honors. The Sixteenth infantry, commanded by Col. Price, and the regimental band of the post will escort
the remains to Oakland Cemetery, where the interment will take place.

Lieut. Flake was a DeKalb county boy who enlisted in the army at the beginning of the Spanish-American way,
and by his good work was soon promoted to a lieutenancy. He was killed a few months ago in the Phillipines
while bravely fighting at the head of his company.

From the Find A Grave website


Funeral notice for Campbell Flake

The pallbeareers and escort were from the 16th US Infantry Regiment
stationed at Fort McPherson, Georgia.

Photo by Judy K. Brantley/Wilson from the Find A Grave website





Campbell W. Flake
with Foot Officers sword.


From The Atlanta Constitution
Sunday October 2, 1904
by Judy K. Brantley/Wilson
from the
Find A Grave website




Lieutenant Flake Is Laid to Rest in Oakland.

Details from Sixteenth United States and Fifth Georgia Accompany Remains to Last Resting Place
-- Brave Officer Was Killed in Philippines.

With all of the solemn pageantry of a military funeral, services were held over the remains of Lieutenant Campbell Wallace Flake
at Trinity Methodist church yesterday afternoon. Lieutenant Flake was a member of the Twenty-second United States Infantry,
Company A, and was shot to death while leading his men against a fortified Moro House at Ramien, Lake Lanao, in the Philippines.

There were details from the Sixteenth, now stationed at Fort McPherson, and members of the Fifth regiment of Georgia,
under Colonel Anderson, the regulars in their uniforms of khaki and the state troops in their uniforms of blue.

From the undertaking parlors of Barclay Brandon, the ashes of the deceased were escorted by a platoon of soldiers, the remains
being carried on a caisson draped with the American Stars and Stripes under which Lieutenant Flake fell fighting, while resting
on the casket were the belt and sword and the cap worn by the officer. As the remains neared the church the band of the Sixteenth
played "Nearer My God to Thee" and the casket was carried into Trinity church which was already crowded with many standing.

The detail for the funeral from Fort McPherson was composed of one platoon Co. E 16th Infantry with necessary complement of
non-commissioned officers and one musician, under command of 2nd Lieutenant Louis Soleiac.

The following named officers acted as pall bearers: Second Lieutenants Kingman, Hyatt, Churchlll, James, McCune, Peyton,
Atkins and Pickering. The following named sergeants, 16th Infantry, acted as body bearers: Sergeant Barton Company A;
Sergeant Edward P. Moore, Company B; Sergeant Girard A. Gamanche, Company C; Sergeant Angus McDonald,
Company D; Sergeant Edward Mahoney, Company E; Sergeant William F. Fender, Company F; Sergeant Hans P. Johnson,
Company G; Sergeant Alexander White, Company H. Service by Dr. Bradley.

Rev. Dr. H. S. Bradley, pastor of the Trinity Methodist church, conducted the services. Explaining that he had known the
young officer but slightly before he had left Atlanta to go to the Philippines, he took occasion to dwell on the subject of death,
the death that is only sleeping and leads to eternal life, rather than any eulogy of Lieutenant Flake. This officer had considered
his duty more than his life, and had met death In the carrying out of commands from his superior officer. There was simply
no greater eulogy than this simple fact which spoke so much more eloquently than words. There was the singing of
"One Sweetly Solemn Thought" and other hymns that carry with them the comfort that means so much to this hour of trial.
Then Dr. Bradly spoke of the real time of rejoicing in the highest sense attending death, rather than the customs which are
so universal in this present time. He pointed out many places in the Scriptures and in every instances emphasised the fact that
death was always referred to as the beginning of better things with the rest that comes after a life of struggling and trying.

- With the close of the service the remains were again carried. There was the slow tolling of the bell and then the column, headed by the
Band under Chief Musician Kline, led the way to Oakland cemetery. There was the long roll of the muffled drums that seemed to catch the sad
note of the tolling bell, the music of horns hushed to the softness of sorrow and the measured tread that with the "Dirge Dolorosa" started
on the last march of the brave young Atlanta officer. At the cemetery there was the last salute and above the floral offerings curled the
smoke of the rifles as a fitting benediction for a young soldier who died nobly for love of country.

The Atlanta Constitution Monday October 3, 1904



Oakland Cemetery
Fulton County

Section 7, Block 340, Grave 2




Construction began on the defenses of Fort Wint on Grande Island, in Subic Bay, Philippines in 1907
as part of the defenses to the entrance to Subic Bay.

One of the gun batteries at Fort Wint was named for Campbell W. Flake.

Battery Flake originally contained four rapid-fire 3 inch M1903 guns, and sustained damage during World War II.
Over time the guns were removed, two were brought to the United States and today are mounted at Fort Casey, Washington.


The entrance to the magazines of Battery Flake at Fort Wint, on Grande Island, Philippines.

Photo from the Corregidor Then And Now website





One of the 3 inch guns from Battery Flake, now mounted at Fort Casey, Washington.

Photo from the Corregidor The And Now website







Top photo of 2nd Lieutenant Campbell W. Flake taken at Fort Reno, Indian Territory 1903.
From the Army and Navy Register (Illustrated supplement) August 1, 1903








Home | Photos | Battles & History | Current |
Rosters & Reports | Medal of Honor | Killed in Action |
Personnel Locator | Commanders | Station List | Campaigns |
Honors | Insignia & Memorabilia | 4-42 Artillery | Taps |
What's New | Editorial | Links |