1st Battalion 22nd Infantry


Service in Garrison, Subsequent to the World War

November 1918 - May 1922


After shifting from place to place, from station to station, always to continue in one form or another the monotonous routine
of furnishing protection to property, the signing of the armistice found the organizations of the regiment distributed as follows:
Regimental headquarters, Colonel John C. F. Tillson, commanding, and Companies F, I and L, Fort Jay, N. Y.
Supply company, machine gun company and Companies K and M, camp at Syracuse, N. Y.
Companies A, B, C and D, East Potomac Park, Washington, D. C.
Company H, Plattsburg Barracks, N. Y.
Company E, Morgan, New Jersey.
Company G, Anatol, New Jersey.
Companies K and M were transferred from the Syracuse Recruit camp to Fort Jay, N. Y., November 18-19, 1918;
the supply and machine gun companies came from Syracuse to Fort Hamilton, N. Y., the following day,
and Company F was transferred from Fort Jay to Fort Hamilton on the 19th.

There were no changes of station during December, the various companies carrying out the regular duties pertaining to them.
But there yet remained a number of shifts to be made before the 22nd Infantry would be settled in its permanent stations,
which had been designated for the regiment long before it left Douglas, Arizona, for New York.

The four companies stationed at East Potomac Park, in Washington, which had come to be known, unofficially, at least,
as the Capitol Guard, was relieved in January; Companies A and D were transferred to the Quartermaster Terminal,
Greenwich Point, Philadelphia, arriving there at 11:00 P. M., January 15. Company B left East Potomac Park
and proceeded to Raritan Arsenal, Metuchen, N. J., on January 10. Company C moved to Morgan, New Jersey, January 16.
All these movements were made by rail over the Pennsylvania Railroad. Company B was joined by G at Raritan Arsenal on the 10th,
the latter organization coming from Anatol, New Jersey.
January 16, Company H moved to the yards of the Submarine Boat Corporation at Port Newark terminal, New Jersey.
This unit had been attached to the First Battalion on duty in Washington.

In February, the garrison at Raritan Arsenal was further augmented by Company F, which moved to that station from Fort Hamilton
on February 28. The two following months saw no changes of station or duties in the regiment.
Routine garrison and guard duty was continued, according to the location of the organization.


Two views of an issue sewing kit,
which would have held needles
and thread, used for sewing on
buttons and small repairs,
belonging to
PVT Earl Stacks, of Company K,
22nd Infantry at Fort Jay


The stations of all the organizations of the 22nd Infantry on April 30, 1919, are given as follows:
Regimental headquarters, headquarters company, Companies I, K, I, and M, Fort Jay, N. Y.
Supply and machine gun companies, Fort Hamilton, N. Y.
Companies B, F and G, Raritan Arsenal, Metuchen, N. J.
Companies C and E, Morgan, New Jersey.
Companies A and D, Greenwich Point Terminal, Philadelphia, Pa.
Company H, Submarine Boat Corporation, Port Newark Terminal, N. J.

May 7, 1919, the machine gun company from Fort Hamilton, and Companies I and K, from Fort Jay,
proceeded to the United States Naval Rifle Range, at Caldwell, New Jersey, where the annual target practice was held.
These organizations completed the prescribed course and returned to their proper stations on May 27.

A five-day pass issued to Corporal Carl H. Bischoff, of Company E, 22nd Infantry, to visit Cocheton (probably Cochecton) N.Y.,
from May 23-28, 1919. Company E was probably out of passes, and borrowed one from Company G,
crossing out the "G" and typing an "E" above it, and also typing a "9" next to the date to denote 1919.
The pass is signed by both the Company Commander (unknown) and the Company 1st Sergeant (Thomas J. Marahan).
The printed form shows that Colonel John C.F. Tillson was in command of the Regiment at that time.

From the webmaster's collection


On May 12, Company H left the Submarine Boat Corporation at Newark and took station at the Raritan Arsenal,
Metuchen, N. J., the transfer being made by motor truck. A detachment of one officer and 20 enlisted men of this company
remained at Newark. May 27, this detachment was relieved by men from Companies I and K at Fort Jay,
and proceeded to join Company H at Raritan Arsenal.
May 20, Company D was transferred from the Greenwich Point Quartermaster Terminal in Philadelphia,
to station at Fort Hamilton, N. Y. May 31, Company C also moved to Fort Hamilton from Morgan, N. J.,
and on the same day Company E left Morgan for station at Fort Niagara, N. Y.
Second Lieutenant William J. Hershenow and the 22nd Infantry band left Fort Jay and took temporary station
at the Port of Embarkation, Hoboken, N. J., on May 31. The band remained in Hoboken a month, and returned to Fort Jay
on the last day of June, 1919.
June 3, Company A moved from the Greenwich Point Quartermaster Terminal to a point at the junction of 18th and Race streets,
Philadelphia, where it performed guard duty for the remainder of the month, returning to Fort Jay on the first of July.
Company F left Raritan Arsenal on June 7, and proceeded via the New York Central and West Shore railroad to Fort Niagara, N. Y.,
arriving the following day. Company G also moved to Fort Niagara from Raritan Arsenal, June 7-8, 1919.
During this month all the organizations of the regiment devoted a great amount of time to the discharge of men enlisted or drafted for the emergency,
there being a consequent reduction in the enlisted strength of the companies.


July 21, 1919, the machine gun company and Companies B, C and D, moved via the Pennsylvania railroad to the Aberdeen Proving Ground,
Aberdeen, Maryland, arriving at 12:30 on the morning of the following day; distance traveled 160 miles.
The First and Third Battalions of the regiment, with the supply and machine gun companies, participated in the parade held in New York City,
July 15, 1919, in honor of the return of President Woodrow Wilson from Paris, where he had been attending the Versailles Peace Conference.
The route of the parade was east from 23rd street and Seventh avenue to 23rd street and Fifth avenue; thence north on Fifth avenue
to 57th street and terminating at Carnegie Hall, a total distance of about one and one-half miles.

August 31, 1919, the regimental band again went to the Port of Embarkation in Hoboken, where it remained on duty until October 3.
There were no changes of station in September and only two in October. The supply company changed station from Fort Hamilton
to Fort Niagara on October 27, and Company D was moved from the Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, to Fort Porter on October 30.
During the following month, however, the changes were numerous and of more than usual interest, because, with one or two exceptions,
they marked the transfers that finally located the battalions of the 22nd Infantry in their permanently assigned stations
at Forts Jay, Porter and Niagara. These changes are recorded here in the order in which they took place:
Company A, from Sea Girt, New Jersey, to Fort Niagara, N. Y., November 5-9, 1919.
Company L, from Sea Girt, New Jersey, to Fort Jay, N. Y., November 5, 1919.
Machine gun company, Aberdeen Proving Grounds to Fort Niagara, N. Y., November 28-29, 1919.
Company B, Aberdeen Proving Grounds to Fort Niagara, N. Y., November 28-29, 1919.
Company C, Aberdeen Proving Grounds to Fort Porter, N. Y., November 28-29, 1919.
Companies E, F and H left Fort Niagara, N. Y., at 5:30 A. M., November 2, 1919, by train, en route to
Brownsville, Pennsylvania, arriving at Brownsville at 9:30 A. M. the following day. These three organizations remained on duty in Brownsville
until November 24, when they returned to Fort Niagara, arriving November 25.

This left the 22nd Infantry distributed between Forts Jay, Porter and Niagara,
with no companies or detachments performing any duties away from their posts.
There were no further changes of station or duties during 1919, and on the last day of the year the stations were as follows:
Headquarters company and Companies I, K, L and M, Fort Jay, N. Y.
Machine gun company, supply company and Companies A, B, E, F, G and H, Fort Niagara, New York.
Companies C and D, Fort Porter, New York.

Only one permanent change of station occurred during 1920;
on January 15 of that year, Companies A and B were moved
from Fort Niagara to Fort Porter. This move resulted in the consolidation,
at one post, of each of the three battalions;
regimental headquarters and the Third Battalion at Fort Jay;
the First Battalion at Fort Porter;
the Second Battalion with the supply and machine gun companies at Fort Niagara.


Annual target practice was held by the First and Second Battalions at Fort Niagara, N. Y.,
between June 1 and July 23, the companies of the First Battalion proceeding to Fort Niagara for that purpose.
The Third Battalion held its target season at Camp Upton during June and July,
two companies moving to camp at a time, while the other two carried on the routine guard and fatigue at Fort Jay.


COL John C.F. Tillson


May 25, 1920, Colonel John C. F. Tillson, having attained the age limit,
was placed on the retired list at Fort Jay.
Colonel Tillson had been in command of the 22nd Infantry since 1916,
and had actively commanded the regiment and the post of Fort Jay
during the entire period of the war, when the units were engaged in the difficult
and responsible duty of protecting the city of New York.
The loss of Colonel Tillson was keenly felt by the officers and men of the regiment,
and in token of their esteem the former tendered him
a beautiful farewell reception and dance,
and the latter a magnificent silver loving cup, on the occasion of his retirement.


Colonel John McA. Palmer was assigned to the command of the regiment on June 11, 1920, and joined June 19.
Colonel Palmer had previously been on duty with the general staff of the War Department, in which capacity he had done a great deal of work
with the Senate Committee on Military Affairs, appearing before that body on several occasions
to present the views of the general staff on army reorganization, particularly those phases bearing on the creation
of a Chief of Infantry and the adoption of a single promotion list for all officers.

The scene of the Wall St. bombing, September 16, 1920, prior to the arrival of the 22nd Infantry


September 16, 1920, at one minute after noon, there occurred in New York City one of the most terrible catastrophes of the age.
A bomb was exploded at the corner of Wall and Nassau streets, in front of the offices of J. P. Morgan and Company,
in the very heart of the financial district of New York. The explosion, which was believed to have been the work of some ultra-radical faction,
caused the death of thirty persons and the injury of over two hundred.

( Editor's note: The bomb was in a horse drawn wagon which stopped across the street from the J.P. Morgan building.
Authorities believe it was made of 100 pounds of dynamite, around which were packed 500 pounds of heavy iron slugs.
It killed 38 people and injured over 400.)

On account of the proximity of the explosion to the United States Sub-Treasury, request was made to Major General R. L. Bullard,
commanding the Second Corps Area, for a detachment of troops to guard that building.
Company M, 22nd Infantry, First Lieutenant Benjamin F. Pelton, was immediately dispatched in motor trucks to the scene of trouble,
where they rendered great assistance to the police in holding back the crowd. At 1:10 p. M., Company K, Captain Daniel S. Appleton,
which had been held in reserve at Fort Jay, was ordered to join Company M in New York. Proceeding by motor truck,
this organization reached the scene of the explosion just twenty minutes after the order was received.
The two companies established a dead line around the United States Sub-Treasury and kept all persons without credentials
away from the vicinity of the explosion. No trouble of any kind occurred after the arrival of the troops,
and both companies returned to Fort Jay about 4 P. M. the same day. While on duty in the city this detachment was under the command
of Major Clifford Bluemel, commanding officer of the third battalion, while the situation as it involved Federal troops,
was under Lieutenant-Colonel Rinaldo R. Wood, 22nd Infantry.

Fort Jay, New York

On the right is Captain Daniel Sidney Appleton, Commanding Officer of K Company 22nd Infantry,
standing in front of his quarters (note sign on steps), along with his first son Daniel Sidney Appleton Jr.

The unknown gentleman with the top hat is presumed to be Appleton's father but may be Captain Appleton's uncle
Major General (Retired) Daniel Appleton.

Captain Daniel S. Appleton brought K Company to the US Sub-Treasury after the Wall Street bombing, to join M Company in guarding it.
Captain Appleton is also the officer who compiled the official history of the 22nd Infantry Regiment,
from the years 1904-1922.

Photo from the webmaster's collection



The remainder of the year 1920 passed quietly and without incident. On account of the exceptionally bright prospects
for training and education in the army at this time, the influx of recruits, added to the high percentage of re-enlistments,
brought the strength of the companies far above what it had ever before been in time of peace.
The latter part of the year found the regiment gradually getting back to what may be termed a peace status.
Much provision was made at all posts to provide for the comfort and recreation of the command, and to give the posts the aspect of permanent homes.


Thanksgiving Dinner Menu
for Company K 22nd Infantry

Fort Jay

November 25, 1920

The main events in the history
of the 22nd Infantry listed
on the menu are:

Indian Wars

Spanish War (Cuba)

Philippine Insurrection

San Francisco
Earthquake and Fire

The World War

Wall Street Explosion


On May 5, 1921, Colonel Palmer left the regiment to become Aide de Camp to the General of the Armies, General Pershing.
The new regimental commander, Colonel Samson Lane Faison, was assigned July 19, 1921.
Colonel Faison served as Brigadier General during the war, and during this time commanded the 30th Division.

On October 1, 1921, a strange coincidence gave the 22nd Infantry a battalion of the regiment from which it was created.
The 1st Battalion, 13th Infantry, less Companies A and B, had been on duty at Hoboken, New Jersey,
as guards and escorts to the military dead just then being returned from France.
Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, Companies C and D, 13th Infantry, were transferred to the 22nd Infantry
and on November 15, 1921, joined the regiment. Three officers, Major D. G. C. Garrison, Captain E. E. Hagler, Jr.,
and Captain Charles M. Kemp and about one hundred and fifty men were involved in the transfer.

Another transfer at this time increased the strength of the regiment. The 36th Infantry, stationed at Camp Devens, Massachusetts,
was ordered on the inactive list and its remaining personnel, on October 13, 1921, was transferred to the 22nd Infantry at Governors Island.
These included Major R. W. Drury,Captain I. E. Doane and Captain J. E. Tiedmen, and Captain C. E. Sullivan
and about one hundred and eighty men.



Norman D. Cota as a Cadet
at the U.S. Military Academy,
looking much as he would have,
when he served with the 22nd Infantry.

Photo courtesy of Edward Moch


During the years (approximately) 1917-1922 Norman D. Cota was an officer in the 22nd Infantry.
When the 22nd Infantry left New York for Fort McPherson, Cota returned to West Point
to serve as Finance Officer of the Academy.

Norman D. Cota entered the U.S. Military Academy on June 14, 1913.
Cota's class at West Point was commissioned early due to the U.S. participation in WW1,
with him becoming a 2nd Lieutenant of the 22nd Infantry on April 20, 1917. He was promoted to
1st Lieutenant of the 22nd Infantry on May 15, 1917 and Captain (temporary)
on August 5, 1917. He served with the 22nd Infantry at Fort Jay, New York
from May 15, 1917 until August 29, 1918.

He was offered the temporary rank of Major of Infantry in the United States Army (U.S.A.) on
September 9, 1918, which he accepted on September 22, 1918. From August 30, 1918 to April 30,
1919 he was an Assistant Instructor of Tactics and Commanding Company of Cadets at the U.S.
Military Academy with the temporary rank of Major ( Infantry ). He was honorably discharged
from the U.S.A. on August 20, 1919 and promoted to Captain in the Regular Army on September 1,
1919. From October 13, 1919 to December 1, 1920 he was Assistant to the Quartermaster
at the Academy with the rank of Captain ( Army Finance Department ).

Edward Moch, the grandson of Norman D. Cota writes:

According to "Division Commander" The Story of Mag. Gen. Norman Daniel "Dutch" Cota,
by Robert Miller...
Then, Major Norman D. Cota, upon return to stateside, he was sent to The 1st Batallion
22nd Infantry Regiment and served as a "Temporary Interim Commander" for I think
"Company K" at Fort Jay from about late 1918-1920. (Ed. This should read "Company A".)

The reason I know this to be true is that Major Cota and His fellow Officers were invited to "A New York
Tea and Dance Social", were he met some of the young debutante socialites. It was there that he met a
young lady that just turned 18 years named, Constance Martha Alexander, The Daughter of
Wall Street Attorney, Arthur Aaron Alexander. It was at this gathering that they locked eyes on one another.
Soon after they announced their Engagement and on November 1st. 1919, they became wedded
in New York City.

Norman D. Cota served in the Army for 29 years. As a Brigadier General he landed on Omaha Beach
on D-Day as Assistant Commander of the 29th Division, and was famous for rallying the troops and
leading them inland during heavy opposition. As a Major General he commanded the 28th Division
in the horrendous Battle of the Hürtgen Forest. He retired from the Army in 1946.



During the month of May, 1922, notice was received from the War Department that the 22nd Infantry would be transferred to Fort McPherson,
Georgia, taking with it only a nucleus of its organization. Upon arrival it was to be reorganized by transfer and recruiting.

This change of station marks a definite period in the history of the regiment, inasmuch as the small number of officers and men were transferred
to form the nucleus of the new organization, and to continue the traditions of the regiment their names are given in the following list:

Lieutenant Colonel William G. Doane
Major George F. Rozelle, Jr.
Major David G. C. Garrison
Captain Irvin E. Doane
Captain Grover C. Graham
Captain Elmer E. Hagler, Jr.
Captain Stuart Cutler
Captain Alexander R. Boiling
Captain Charles F. Sullivan
Captain Neal W. Richmond
Captain Charles F. F. Cooper
Captain Alexander H. Cummings
Captain Norman B. Chandler
Captain Asa B. Pope
Captain Alfred G. French
1st Lieutenant Charles A. Reif
1st Lieutenant Herbert B. Laux
1st Lieutenant Lemiel L. Reece
1st Lieutenant John C. Green



Below are twelve of the above nineteen officers, who formed the nucleus of the 22nd Infantry,
in the move from Fort Jay to Fort McPherson:


Lieutenant Colonel William G. Doane


Major George F. Rozelle


Major David G.C. Garrison


Captain Irvin E. Doane


Captain Grover C. Graham


Captain Charles F. Sullivan


Captain Neal W. Richmond


Captain Charles F.F. Cooper


Captain Alexander H. Cummings


Captain Asa B. Pope


Captain Alfred G. French


1st Lieutenant Herbert B. Laux










Home | Photos | Battles & History | Current |
Rosters & Reports | Medal of Honor | Killed in Action |
Personnel Locator | Commanders | Station List | Campaigns |
Honors | Insignia & Memorabilia | 4-42 Artillery | Taps |
What's New | Editorial | Links |