Sewell Marion Brumby

Commanding Officer 1st Battalion 22nd Infantry

4th Infantry Division

May 4 - June 7, 1944



Sewell M. Brumby was born in Georgia on May 20, 1911.

At the age of 17 he entered the US Military Academy on July 6, 1928 and graduated 194th out of a class of 262
on June 10, 1932. In his graduating year Brumby was a Cadet Sergeant in Company M in the Corps of Cadets.


Above: The entry for Sewell M. Brumby in the 1932 U.S. Military Academy yearbook the Howtizer



Upon graduation Brumby was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry and assigned to Company H 29th Infantry.
He joined the 29th Infantry at Fort Benning, Georgia on September 9, 1932. He remained there until May 10, 1933
when he went to Camp Beauregard, Louisiana on duty with the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) until November.
He rejoined his Company and remained with them until September 1934 when he went to the Infantry School at Fort
Benning as a student officer. He graduated from the Infantry School Regular Officers' Course in June 1935.

Brumby returned to temporary duty with the 29th Infantry in June 1935 awaiting his next duty assignment.

He was promoted to 1st Lieutenant on August 1, 1935.

On September 28, 1935 he sailed for the Philippine Islands, arriving there on November 1. He was on duty at
Manila, Philippine Islands with Company K 31st Infantry from November 1, 1935 to July 15, 1938. He took
leave from July 15 - October 26, 1938.

On October 26, 1938 Brumby reported to Fort Brady, Michigan for duty with Company I 2nd Infantry.
From December 24, 1938 to October 12, 1939 he commanded Company I 2nd Infantry at Fort Brady,
Michigan, Camp Williams, Wisconsin and Camp Custer, Michigan. From October 12 - 31, 1939 he
commanded Company M 2nd Infantry at Fort Brady, Michigan.

His next duty assignment was at Fort McClellan, Alabama from October 31, 1939 to April 28, 1940.
From April 28 to May 1940 he was at Fort Benning, Georgia. In May 1940 he returned to Fort Brady,
Michigan. On June 3, 1940 he became the Post Exchange Officer at Fort Brady. He also commanded the
Special Guard at St. Mary's Falls Canal. The Special Guard guarded the locks and canal system on the St. Mary's River
which connected Lake Superior with the Lower Great Lakes. On July 5, 1940 Brumby became the
Post Adjutant and Provost and Fire Marshall at Fort Brady and remained
in that position until August 31, 1940.

On September 1, 1940 he became the Commanding Officer of Company H 47th Infantry 9th Infantry Division at Fort Bragg,
North Carolina. On September 9 he was offered a temporary promotion to Captain in the Army of the United States
(AUS) which he formally accepted on October 3. He continued to command Company H until October 31, 1941.

He was a student officer at the Infantry School at Fort Benning, Georgia from November 1, 1941 to January 31, 1942.

On February 1, 1942 he was given a temporary promotion to Major (AUS) and was back at Fort Bragg commanding
2nd Battalion 47th Infantry 9th Infantry Division until March 11. From March 12 - April 11, 1942 he was a student officer
at the Infantry School at Fort Benning, Georgia. He was then at Camp Shelby, Mississippi as the S-3 Operations Officer
of the 337th Infantry of the 85th Infantry Division as it was being activated, from April 15 to September 3, 1942.

While with the 337th Infantry, on June 10, 1942 he was promoted to Captain in the Regular Army.

From September 5 to October 3, 1942 Brumby was back at the Infantry School at Fort Benning as a student officer.

On October 10, 1942 he reported to Camp Claiborne, Louisiana where he commanded 1st Battalion and was the S-3
Operations Officer of the 410th Infantry as part of the 103rd Infantry Division which was being activated at that time.
He continued in those positions until February 16, 1943.

On February 17, 1943 he went to Camp Beauregard, Louisiana on detached service where he became the Assistant G-3
of 15th Corps.

On March 20, 1943, Brumby was given the temporary rank of Lieutenant Colonel (AUS).

On April 11, 1943 his assignment to 15th Corps ended. From April 12, 1943 to February 29, 1944 he was back with the
103rd Infantry Division commanding various Battalions of the 411th Infantry at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana, at the
Maneuver Area in Louisiana and at Camp Howze, Texas.

On May 4, 1944 he was placed in command of 1st Battalion 22nd Infantry and led them ashore on Utah beach on D-Day,
June 6, 1944. On June 7 during the attack on the German shore batteries at Crisbecq Brumby was seriously wounded
in the foot and had to relinquish command of 1st Battalion. He was sent to the 77th Station Hospital at Packington Park,
Warwickshire, England for convalescence and rehabilitation.



June 1944

LTC Sewell Brumby
as Commanding Officer
1st Battalion 22nd Infantry
in the marshalling area
in England just before
loading the ships for the
D-Day invasion.

Photo from the 1946
Regimental yearbook


Because of his wounds he was placed on Limited Service on November 27, 1944. He was still at the Hospital in England
when it was re-designated the 825th Convalescent center in December 1944. At an unknown date he returned to the United
States where he was at Camp Crowder, Missouri commanding the 1st Provisional Regiment until November 26, 1945.

He was restored to General Service duty in January 1946. He was the Control Officer at Fort Jackson, South Carolina
from April 9 to December 1, 1946. He was the Commanding Officer of the 3431st Administrative Service Unit at the
Armed Forces Induction Station at Fort Jackson from December 2, 1946 to April 8, 1947.

Brumby was sent overseas to Yokohama, Japan where he was the Provost Marshall of Metropolitan Yokohama from
July 5 to August 31, 1947. He commanded the 519th Military Police Battalion at Yokohama from September 1, 1947
to May 19, 1948. He again became the Provost Marshall of Metropolitan Yokohama on May 20, 1948.

Brumby was promoted to Major in the Regular Army on July 15, 1948.

On January 2, 1949 he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel.

He ended his duty as Provost Marshall on January 5, 1949 and became the Deputy Provost Marshall from
January 6, 1949 to May 25, 1950.

He was promoted to Colonel on September 13, 1954.

Sewell M. Brumby retired from the Regular Army on April 1, 1960 after 32 years service.

He died March 11, 1992 at Athens, Georgia.


He was the Great-grandson of Arnoldus Vanderhorst Brumby, U.S. Military Academy Class of 1835.



Sewell M. Brumby's decorations which could be verified by 1st Battalion website





Oconee Hill Cemetery
Clarke County
Georgia, USA
Plot: H 134


The grave monument for Sewell M. Brumby

Photo by Ed Saye from the Find A Grave website





Sewell M. Brumby as Law Librarian at the University of Georgia Law School

From WilkersonC via



Brumby and Hart Family Papers Open for Research

Posted on June 2, 2014 by Jean Cleveland

The Hargrett Library is pleased to announce the opening of the Brumby and Hart family papers, ms 3752. Sewell Marion Brumby
(1911-1992) was born in Cedartown, Georgia and graduated from United States Military Academy in 1932. He began his army career
stationed in Manila (Philippines) shortly after his marriage in 1935 to Mary Hart (1914-2011), daughter of Mary Elmira Bullard
(1883-1977) and William Thomas Hart (1880-1931) of Columbus, Georgia. He was a Lieutenant Colonel in command of the
1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry in World War II and led them ashore on Utah Beach on D-Day (June 6, 1944). Sewell later served two
tours of duty in Japan and retired from the Army in 1960. After years of living overseas, Sewell and Mary finally settled in Athens
(Ga.). Sewell began a second career as librarian at the University of Georgia Law School after attending library school at
Columbia University in New York.

The collection consists of biographical information, genealogy, correspondence, writings, artwork, scrapbooks, financial papers,
printed material and photographs. Much of the correspondence is between Sewell and Mary Brumby and from their friends,
especially their friends in Japan. The Hart family correspondence revolves around Mary Elmira Bullard Hart, with letters from
her husband William Thomas Hart, and their children Louise Hart Hunt (1911-1987), Mary Hart, and William Bullard Hart
(1918-1985). There is also correspondence of Marianne Brumby, Mira Lee “Candle” Brumby, Sewell Robeson Brumby, the
Bullard family, the Blackmar family and the Pittman family. One box of correspondence and financial papers concerns John Ray
and Benjamin G. Barker. John Ray (1792-1868) was a lawyer and teacher in Newnan, Georgia. Genealogy research done by
Sewell Brumby concerns the Brumby, Hart, Sewell and Pittman extended families and includes research correspondence with
family members. Writings are by various family members, especially the poetry of Louise Hart Hunt and family cookbooks and
recipes used for Mary Brumby’s publication.

The Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library is open for research Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm, with the exception
of University holidays. For more information, please visit or call (706) 542-7123.

From the University of Georgia website







Home | Photos | Battles & History | Current |
Rosters & Reports | Medal of Honor | Killed in Action |
Personnel Locator | Commanders | Station List | Campaigns |
Honors | Insignia & Memorabilia | 4-42 Artillery | Taps |
What's New | Editorial | Links |